"Grow bags"

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Grow bags"

I was thinking of growing tomatoes in one of my mini greenhouses. Does anyone recommend the use of grow bags - this seems the most sensible way for me to plant them, and then let them grow in the greenhouse. Or would pots be a better idea?

I've searched the forum, but cam't see any specific questions/answers.

Please, no jokes about grow bags - I've heard them all - ie: "fall asleep in a grow bag?" - "take you grow bag instead of your sleeping bag again?"

Also, as i'm too late to get seeds sown, where would be a good place to buy tomato plants from?

Many ta's
    Last edited by HeyWayne; 26-03-2007, 12:24 PM.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Growbags are fine for toms. Never used them myself, but my father used to. I'm sure others on the Vine will fill in missing details and correct me if my memory fails me!!
    I think it's 2 plants to a bag . It will need more watering than a pot, and don't forget to make drainage holes in the base to allow excess water to run out.
    You can buy plenty of varieties of toms at garden centres, but you'll be paying quite a lot for them. Do you have any plant nursaries near you? They would be much cheaper if they sell to the general public.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
      I was thinking of growing tomatoes in one of my mini greenhouses. Does anyone recommend the use of grow bags - this seems the most sensible way for me to plant them, and then let them grow in the greenhouse. Or would pots be a better idea?

I've searched the forum, but cam't see any specific questions/answers.

Please, no jokes about grow bags - I've heard them all - ie: "fall asleep in a grow bag?" - "take you grow bag instead of your sleeping bag again?"

Also, as i'm too late to get seeds sown, where would be a good place to buy tomato plants from?

Many ta's
      Im also using grow bags so hopefully they will be good, my Mum swears by them!!
      But im sure you are not too late to sow tomato seeds
      The closer to nature I become the more alive I am!

http://www.freakshoweb.com

Comment

I grew tomatoes in the flower buckets from Morrisons last summer they were easy to move around too.

Don't think you are too late to start toms from seeds so don't panic.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

I'm sure you can plant tomato seeds for another month or so yet, I've got my first few seedlings, but plan to plant more every couple of weeks to get a nice continuation of them throughout the summer

Comment

Hiya

Look out for grow bag holders, they allow you to keep your toms upright. I have seen them in loads of garden center's.

Loz
            http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm planning to start some tomatoes on Friday (fruit day) and hope it's not too late. Never had a lot of luck with grow bags, and didn't water enough last year so plan to make up for it this year and feed well too.

Comment

You've still pleny of time to sow tomato seeds, much better than buying young plants - they are dead easy to germinate.

Personally, i have moved away from grow bags as i find them impossible to keep evenly watered, especially when the pants are older and the roots take up all the compost space. Last year i used large tomoto pots (about i foot in diameter) and mixed in some water retaining granules. The pots were much easier to keep watered and the roots had much more space, resulting in massive plants and loads of fruit. A big bucket would also do the job (in fact i might try some in large buckets to compare to the tomato pots).
                There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                Happy Gardening!

Comment

Old pants? I might try that too!

Thanks for the tips, I think pots/tubs might be the way forward - especially if watering is a problem.

Many ta's

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Agree with the above, defo not too late to plant seeds - planted some more up yesterday and will do some more in a couple of weeks to take me to the end of the season.

Have used grow bags but find the can dry up quickly and the depth of soil isn't good - however they're very good if you go for ring culture as it gives that extra depth and is cheap and easy. You can buy expensive plastic rings but I use the cheapo ones from the garden centre and they're fine.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

haywayne, i agree its not to late to plant seed , i use grow bags but not the thin ones the ones i use are abiout 6" thick and plant 2 in each bag i also use a grow ring i think thats what they call them , plants in center and a water ring around outside, never had any problems, the bags cost 3 for £10 at my garden centre, mick: D
                      Mick aka murfe 18

Comment

I use grow bags Haywayne for a number of veg and always go for the best I can get. At last that way they are not the thin kind. For tomatoes, I have been growing two per bag, but I don't plant them directly into the bag. I sink a pot with the bottom cut off into the grow bag and fill it with compost, then plant my tomato plant in that. I also sink another small pot beside it for watering. That way you can water the roots and the area around the base of the stem doesn't get washed away.

I have also treated myself to some grow bag holders this year, so hoping they will save me having to tie up the bamboo cane into the eaves of the polytunnel!
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thanks for the tips and pointers peepholes. I'm hoping to get some more seed trays this weekend. Looks like I should get some tomato seeds too - I'm guessing just using the ones from tomatoes bought at the supermarket is not a good idea?

Just noticed Protea, you are also in sunny Bedfordshire. Wherabouts are you?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                            Thanks for the tips and pointers peepholes. I'm hoping to get some more seed trays this weekend. Looks like I should get some tomato seeds too - I'm guessing just using the ones from tomatoes bought at the supermarket is not a good idea?

Just noticed Protea, you are also in sunny Bedfordshire. Wherabouts are you?
                            Was it sunny in Bedfordshire today? i was in Warwickshire all day and up until late afternoon it was miserable!

I'm usually in Shillington - mid Beds - where are you?
                            There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                            Happy Gardening!

Comment

Originally posted by Protea View Post
                              Was it sunny in Bedfordshire today? i was in Warwickshire all day and up until late afternoon it was miserable!

I'm usually in Shillington - mid Beds - where are you?
                              Aye, t'was foggy most of the morning, but by about lunch time it started to brighten up.

I'm in Harlington

Foggy aging this morning - really thick stuff too. Hopefully another bright afternoon ahead.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X