Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanised steel raised beds

I've had an idea...

The company I work for manufacture concrete reinforcement products. One of the components of one of the products are galvanised "troughs". They basically (without boring you too much hopefully) are casings which are 150mm wide, 2.4M long and are approximately 30mm deep.

For me, they would work out a lot cheaper (possible nothing at all!) than buying timber.

Anyone got any advice they'd wish to impart?

The fact that the casings are galvanised would mean they should last a fair old while - and won't rot like timber.

I know not everyone is keen on "boxing-in" beds, but I am aware that I am not the most organised person, and this would certainly help me feel a little bit more orderly.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Go for it - they would look very trendy!

How many would you need to stack to get a decent edge? Or were you thinking of having them on their sides?
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

The only concern I would have is if the zinc leaches into the soil and affects the veg.
      I know nothing about this , but found this site selling galvanized steel planters and as you can see they recommend lining with plasic to prevent damage to the roots.

www.replicaplants.co.uk/galv.htm

I have no idea how this would affect the veg( other than they wouldn't be showing any signs of zinc deficiency!! )

Here is a link about zinc (near the end)

www.independentliving.co.uk/mineral2.html

-actually sounds rather healthy!!

Your call really - unless there are any people on the Vine who are more in the know.
      Using treated wood instead would also leach stuff into the soil
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
        Go for it - they would look very trendy!

How many would you need to stack to get a decent edge? Or were you thinking of having them on their sides?
        Going to lay them on their sides. Basically the 2.4M lengths will almost cover the length of the beds, then, I will make four snips in the "lips" of the other two lengths and bend the ends round at right angles to form a kind of U shape. These will be the short sides of the beds and I can move them so that they meet the ends of the long sides (if you follow what I mean?).

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        The only concern I would have is if the zinc leaches into the soil and affects the veg.
        I know nothing about this , but found this site selling galvanized steel planters and as you can see they recommend lining with plasic to prevent damage to the roots.

www.replicaplants.co.uk/galv.htm

I have no idea how this would affect the veg( other than they wouldn't be showing any signs of zinc deficiency!! )

Here is a link about zinc (near the end)

www.independentliving.co.uk/mineral2.html

-actually sounds rather healthy!!

Your call really - unless there are any people on the Vine who are more in the know.
        Using treated wood instead would also leach stuff into the soil
        Hadn't thought about that. The only other thing I did think about was the metal heating up from the suns rays, but I guess that's negligable?

Be interested to see if anyone has any more advice on zinc?

Cheers for the info peoples.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Just in case my "description" wasn't clear. Thought I'd do a quick sketch...
          Attached Files

What would Vedder do?

Comment

15cm seems a little shallow. If you have an unlimited suply id think about going at least 2 high.

Comment

Are you intending to bolt them together? If so then it's probably a good idea to slot the holes a bit so that they can expand when the get hot - it's surprising how much thermal movement you can get. Not too sure on the zinc bit will ask one of the environmental guys at work as I'd like to know too.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by WiZeR View Post
                15cm seems a little shallow. If you have an unlimited suply id think about going at least 2 high.
                Isn't that the thickness rather than the depth Wizer?

Ooops just read it again!.....yes it does sound a little shallow!
                Last edited by Nicos; 29-03-2007, 03:56 PM. Reason: easily confused!!!

Comment

15cm, about half a foot, sounds OK to me as I get the impression you're only wanting them to act as edges to keep the plot tidy. Having said that, you could double up and get a greater depth thereby making it easier to apply a top dressing.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by WiZeR View Post
                    Changed design slightly since my last post (that happens when you talk to our technical guys!). Going to use an adaptation of another product we supply - stainless steel so won't rust. That said, we manufacture the "casings" up to 250mm, so I might use them.

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Are you intending to bolt them together? If so then it's probably a good idea to slot the holes a bit so that they can expand when the get hot - it's surprising how much thermal movement you can get. Not too sure on the zinc bit will ask one of the environmental guys at work as I'd like to know too.
                    Again, the design has changed slightly, but I am likely to peg them either side to allow exactly that. Basically 4 corner pieces and 2 sides.

Might make cost creep up, in which case I'll be back to plan A...

Either way, I think it will work out cheaper for me than timber.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

If you're now going for SS then you should be OK re leaching etc seeing as we're allowed to use SS when it comes in contact with drinking water.

Comment

Stainless steel is used in food processing and is totally inert when used for that purpose.

It will make quality beds indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                          Just in case my "description" wasn't clear. Thought I'd do a quick sketch...
                          Looks like a landrover chassis!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Oh, yes please, can I have stainless steel raised beds too?

You will be the envy of the allotment society!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Stainless steel eh??
                              You'll be needing some Italian sunglasses too then!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X