My compost bin smells very sweet...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My compost bin smells very sweet...

...almost like a solventy type of smell, alcoholic/nail varnish remover-ish - is this normal? Or a sign of problems?

Sounds a bit strange to me - mine's always smelt, well earthy! What have you been putting in it? - might help with the diagnonsis.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

you could always empty it out onto a sheet and then put it back in giving it a good mix (add a bit of lime). If you have put a lot of fruit peel in it it may account for the smell but as Alison says it should smell earthy, mind you maybe compost sniffing is better for you than Solvents .... at least it's organic
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Have you been putting fruit into it? Sounds (or smells) like rotting citrus fruits or bananas

Comment

I think that you may have too much anaerobic fermentation going on. I would turn it to get some air in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X