To use or not to use fleece?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To use or not to use fleece?

I have planted up a tub each of potatoes, beetroot, carrot, spring onion and parsnips/radishes today. I have left them on top of patio table where it is warmer temp than the ground (thanks to ALice for this tip!).

My question is should I still use fleece to cover for any overnight frosts, or is being raised to a fairly high height sufficient? If I do need the fleece, how long for? By the way I am in Northumberland.

I will be planting some more in a couple of weeks so that I get successional sowing, but will be warmer then so may not need fleece covering then???

I would be ready with the fleece in cast of frosts. As the shoots will be in the air the chance of them getting a nip would seem likely.
    Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Just keep an eye on the weather forecast (watch for a halo around the moon!) and cover with fleece or newspapers on the evening if frosty!!!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thank you to both, will be keeping an eye out on weather forecasts and cover if necessary. At what point do I not need to do this? When danger of frost is over? Or when at a certain temp?

Comment

Hello Shelle, you need to cover your plants on any night when it is likely to be frosty - or temp is 0 degrees. Can't go in to a big discussion, but when it is 4 degrees at windowsill height, it can be 0 degrees at ground level (cold air sinks). That's why I suggested you raise your plants up from ground level, to give a few degrees temp advantage. I would still put the fleece over your plants at night until the nights get a bit warmer.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

My rule of thumb is if forcast 5 degrees or lower (4 really but allowing for error on the weatherman's forcast )then fleece it.
            For us that is up to the end of May for sure.
            Spuds are more hardy though....
            The good thing about fleece is that it can be left on during the day ( by accident) with no damage to the crops.
            Last edited by Nicos; 02-04-2007, 02:08 AM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X