Courgette problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taff View Post
    they usually only get mildew when the leaves get wet from rain, or condensation
    Nah, it's caused by dry conditions isn't it? My comfrey has it bad but not the courgettes yet (we've had very little rain since March, but the courgettes have been watered well)

In the back garden my geranium phaeum (sp?) get it every year ~ they're coming out if I remember
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm hoping this works
      This is my Cucumber plants, as you can maybe see, one of them has grown very thin, yet the others appear to be growing alright, if somewhat slowly, and the leaves of the tall plant have went all brown, any tips that would help keeps these plants alive would be greatly appreciated
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Nah, it's caused by dry conditions isn't it? My comfrey has it bad but not the courgettes yet (we've had very little rain since March, but the courgettes have been watered well)

In the back garden my geranium phaeum (sp?) get it every year ~ they're coming out if I remember
        weird....I'm re-thinking then
        sorry about that chalkie, ignore me

Comment

TM my first impression is that the plants are in a container some 6" x 6" x 16". If so this is far to small, cumbers need at the least something the size of a Morrisons flower bucket for one plant.

The roots cannot grow properly and therefore cannot take up the available nutrients, my first move would be to repot the plants into a suitable container. I am not sure if this would work as it might just kill the plants but in my opinion you have nothing to loose as they won't grow properly where they are.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Potstubsdustbins, your first impression was spot on, I was growing them all in a trough, and strangely enough, the size you picked from that photo was also spot on, and I've taken your advice, I've re potted all four into bigger tubs, putting in plenty of feed, but the big stringy one isn't looking too good already, I think its either shock, or.......as for the other three, I'll let you know how things develop

Comment

Keeping fingers crossed for you TM, because I transplanted a couple and lost them.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I can't claim to be clever I use those troughs for lettuce, rocket and spring onions.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've got spring onions and long leaf lettuce growing in the garden, and they appear to be doing well, the only things in the garden that really looks like a problem is my leeks, they still look like spring onions, all stringy but still standing upright

Comment

They will probably sulk for a bit until they get established in a new pot, so hang in there. Keep watering and be patient.

Comment

Just an update on my repotted cucumber/courgette plants, they are all growing well and it looks like theres a sign of flowers, well sort of spiky things developing, all except one that is, the stringy one is still stringy, but its still growing, but the rest are doing well, except for what appears to be mildew thats developed, white spots on the leaves, I've seen the advice above, but wonder if I'm doing something wrong thats allowed this to happen, I've been leaving the greenhouse door open all the time because of the good weather we've been having, but should I have been closing the greenhouse door, or should I be leaving the plants outside premanently, strangely enough, the mildew is only affecting one leaf on each plant, as usual, I'd be grateful for any advice thanks

Comment

The spores of powdery mildew are carried in the air - but I doubt keeping the greenhouse door shut would prevent them entering. TS was right - it's dry conditions that create the opportunity for mildew to take a hold. If short of water, the plant becomes stressed and then becomes susceptible to infection. Once you've got powdery mildew I think there are only chemical treatments rather than anything organic (The RHS has a list here). As other grapes have said above, it doesn't usually affect fruit production though I personally would be inclined to remove and destroy the affected leaves if only to reduce the number of spores that will hang around and overwinter in your greenhouse.
                        come visit a garden
                        or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Nah, it's caused by dry conditions isn't it?
                          indeed it is

Comment

My comfrey always gets mildew but the courgettes have been fine the last two years since I started watering into a plant pot sunk close to the plant so the water gets right to the roots. I do the same for cucumbers too, though the less said about them this year the better. Watering into the pot rather than around the stem also helps prevent stem rot which I believe cucumbers and courgies are both prone to.
                            ETA Oh and they're probably the only things other than the toms that get watered every couple of days - more often if hot.
                            Last edited by Shadylane; 10-08-2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X