Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to put fleece over my newly planted seeds to keep the bloody cats off???x x

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to put fleece over my newly planted seeds to keep the bloody cats off???x x

Hi guys, me again! Was wondering if you can help me out- once again! I am still having problems with the pesky cats!!! i am going to do a search on here and see what I can do to deter them, but in the mean time I have covered my whole plot(it's only little!) with fleece. I am hoping to plant some stuff over the weekend and I know birds can be a problem-getting the seeds, but I am also worried that the cats will dig them up whilst burying their crap!!!
    So, I was wondering if it would be ok to cover the whole plot with the fleece?? I know I can still water with it on but I have also read that fleece protects crops from frost! Will this contain heat or will it all ventilate ok until my veg etc has grown sufficiently for me to takle it off and not worry about my seeds??

don't know the proper answer but just wanted to say our cat used my raised bed as a potty all last summer even after I had big cauliflowers growing - he kept digging it all up. Think the only sure way to stop them is to shoot the fluffy beggars!

Going to put posts round my raised bed this year and fine mesh to stop cats and butterflies!

Good luck and if you find something that works - patent it!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I would imagine any cat would enjoy pricking the fleece with there claws and rolling and lying in it! You would be better with a frame work of stakes and cover them with netting.
      Put a dog inside the cage as a deterrant if you like!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ex racing greyhound, that way you are giving a good home to a super animal & any cat that craps in your garden deserves the honour

I wouldn't put fleece all over as it is very expensive. Make some cloches up only cover them with chicken wire instead of polythene that way they won't over heat & you can use them to keep butterflies off you brassica's a s well
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

A couple of the neighbourhood cats were using my newly dug mini-plot as a loo too - i sprinkled cat repellent (natural ingredients only) granules around it on the grass, and some curry powder on the soil itself. Seems to have worked

Comment

Originally posted by sez View Post
            A couple of the neighbourhood cats were using my newly dug mini-plot as a loo too - i sprinkled cat repellent (natural ingredients only) granules around it on the grass, and some curry powder on the soil itself. Seems to have worked
            Perhaps I should curry son's cat and sprinkle him round the borders as a warning to others! Tried various 'natural' repellants last year to great expense and no result.
            Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 05-04-2007, 08:47 PM.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Big problem Chicky. I've put fencing all round my kitchen garden, sufficient to keep b***** deer, foxes and cats out. Lot of work and very pricey. I think for your plot I would stick in some boundary posts, of whatever height, and cover it over with chicken wire. Or make a frame with any kind of scrap wood with chicken wire nailed over it. Easy to remove when you want in, and will keep the cats out. I've made some like that to keep the pigeons off.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Yo Chicky. I once tried a cat repellant an old gardener told me about years ago. I sprinkled mustard powder around the area I wanted my cats to keep off. The fumes made the cats eyes water the first and only time they went anywhere near it. After that, they didn't go within ten feet of the plot.
                If you intend to use chicken wire, stay well away from DIY Stores and Garden Centres. They want £9 for a 10mx0.9 roll. Go to a farm supplier. You'll get 50mx1.6m for £20.
                http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Cloches (with the ends sealed), or wire frames are the best answer. I have a few old wire hanging basket frames that I put upside down over new seeds - Ideal if you are only sowing little patches but no good for rows.

Comment

Thanks guys. I cant afford the prices in the DIY shops for wire etc. Looked in Asda to but for the amount of wire I need it will be quite pricey! I have bought some wooden stick things (25, for £2.00) and some garedn string and have just tied the string all around the sticks in all directions. I am hoping that if any cats even try to s**** on my patch they will get tangled and wont try it again!!!! Thanks for all your suggestions!!! x x x x xx

Comment

I have tried the BBQ sticks trick all over my little plot, so far so good not one deposit found. Might dip them all in my organic paint to disguise them
                      "A good gardener always plants 3 seeds - one for the bugs, one for the weather and one for himself.” - Leo Aikman
                      Lauren

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X