Winter composting question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
    Yes you pee on your compost.... if you have something else in mind please enlighten.

I was just trying to draw attention to my strapline - it's all shiny and new
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Next door neighbours were getting some leylandi trees 'topped'. The tree surgeon asked me if I had any use for the chippings! well you can guess my answer!

I now have two wagon loads of leylandi chippings, including the greenery steaming away nicely.
      I bagged some today to take to the lottie and the heat was unbelievable after only a few days standing.
      The top of the mountain has steam coming off it and near the bottom is a coating of frost!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post

I was just trying to draw attention to my strapline - it's all shiny and new
        I spotted it straightaway - my eyes are always drawn to your shed and what looks like trugs in the foreground. Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicki123 View Post
          I have still some leaves on the ground, but I read somewhere (not here) that they are difficult to compost, so have not been using them. Was this wrong? I can certainly drum up some "green" from the garden if that would be ok.
          I actually just learned (from a book) that leaves only turn to mulch because they literally rot away by fungus, while normal compost is turned over my microbes and worms. That's why you don't combine the too initially (and this is also why they leaves need to be relatively moist). You can add the rotted leaves after a year to the compost heap though.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice
            Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If God had meant me to bend over, she'd have sprinkled the floor with diamonds.

Comment

On the subject of "liquid gold" I tried to get the other half to oblige, but the man has no sense of adventure....... I ended up buying some composting granules.....
              Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If God had meant me to bend over, she'd have sprinkled the floor with diamonds.

Comment

Fortunately my darleks are behind a fence which affords me a little privacy and being 6`2" tall helps to.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Mr VVG knows no shame
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I use a bucket in the garage.. Gets a bit smelly after a week...:-)

Comment

(I think you're pulling legs here and you don't in fact save it in a bucket in the garage)

- use it fresh don't save it up
                      - or if you must save it, cover each "go" with some carboniferous material, eg. shredded newspaper, sawdust, straw etc. Liquid and smells will be absorbed
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We have 3 'bays' made from old pallets. Two we covered with sheets of cardboard last autumn, following some advice on a gardeners world episode to protect them from winter rain (of which we have had plenty!). The third was emptied onto one of the raised beds last autumn, and since then we have just been dumping the contents of the chickens bedding into it each week, ie whole sheets of newspaper, hemp bedding and the chickens contribution . I'm assuming the hemp counts as a brown, so will it be ok if we balance it out with a whole load of grass clippings come spring and give it a good mix up? I don't know how long hemp takes to break down?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X