No announcement yet.

digging up my garden?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies!! I think I will go for the easy option this year since it's my first time.

I will just dig out two beds and grow them in there rather than doing raised beds, I'll save that for next year if i enjoy it!

One last question, Should i did up the grass around where I'm going to be planting crops or should i just leave it so that I can walk on the grass and not trample any of the soil?

thanks!

Comment

I would leave the grass myself. It means less mud to walk on when things are a bit wet. I've sown grass seed on my paths between my beds on my new allotment ready for my guinea pig mowers to begin work in the summer to keep it short and under control . If you decide you like growing and are happy with the position of your beds you can always go for something harder wearing like paving or wood chip later.
      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I will keep my grass, makes things easier!

I still need to actually dig it up, but when i do, should i sprinkle fertiliser over all of it? I'm thinking of growing, potatoes, carrots, onions, peas, lettuce, rocket, parsnip. Seems like a lot there actually...

Should I cater each area specifcally to each veg or would it be ok, but not perfect to just spread fertiliser everywhere, I was thinking of a chicken poo one i saw in a garden shop. Are any of those veg particular about the fertilisers? I know peas dont like too much?

Any advice? Thanks again!!

Comment

Also I don't have much room in my house to start seedlings of, Which of the veg I mentioned REALLY need to be started of, I read about potatoes "chitting" and needing a room with light at about 10c, but i dont have a spare room for that, will it being warmer be really bad??

Thanks!!

edit: I wanted to grow Leeks too!!!!
          Last edited by QuizicleBoy; 23-02-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I dug 3 bits of lawn last year last year and kept a path of grass in between for walking on. I didn't do anything special to the soil as it was a late decision to do it in April.

In one bed I had potatoes and sweetcorn, the other bed against the fence I grew runners and in my third parsnips. Everything turned out great and its given me the bug, the runners especially as the flowers were stunning and looked fab from the kitchen window. This year i'm adding some purple beans as they looked so lovely, just hope they taste as good as they look.

This year i'm adding some rotted farm manure just to see if there is any improvement from last, but if I get the same harvest as last year I wont be disappointed

I kept the grass and its rotting down
            Last edited by daisygrubber; 23-02-2012, 09:18 PM.
            Kaye x

"There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments."

Comment

Originally posted by QuizicleBoy View Post
              potatoes, carrots, onions, peas, lettuce, rocket, parsnip.
              None of those need to be started indoors, you can sow direct

Originally posted by QuizicleBoy View Post
              just spread fertiliser everywhere, I was thinking of a chicken poo one
              No, no no!
              Fertiliser is for specific plants, just lashing it about everywhere will encourage weeds, and the run off of excess fertiliser is what poisons our groundwater and streams for wildlife.

Chicken poo is alkaline: spuds prefer acidity. I know people love chicken poo because it seems natural and easy to use and all that, but ... use it selectively.

Fast growing crops like lettuce don't need additional feeding: they take what they need from the soil. Every year you should be adding garden compost back to the soil to keep it nutritious and water-retentive.

Root crops don't need feed at all, in fact it makes the roots go forky.

Peas & beans feed themselves, being able to fix nitrogen from the air, store it in their roots and utilise it for pod formation.

Spuds are quite hungry, you might want to give them a boost with BFB.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for all the help! I'm excited to get growing!

Comment

Hi QB

Get digging and plant your seeds and remember its a long growing season, if they don't come up first time or you decide you want to try something else or put them in a different position you've plenty of time to sow a second or even a third/fourth batch.

None of us got it right first time, second or even third time. Its taken me about 10 years of gardening down here to finally get the set up that works for me. but in the meantime I've had 10 years of enjoyment from my not so perfect garden and loads of lovely veg.

The most important thing you've done is join the Vine - welcome

francesbean
                  My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X