No announcement yet.

Soil help please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decking boards are only £2.50 each at B&Q at the moment...

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
      take out the first spades-depth and then fork over the subsoil, then replace the top section mixed in with compost/muck/soil improver.
      I'm sure I said that already - is everyone ignoring me?

Originally posted by vikicats View Post
      we saw very few worms ...once the soil has been broken up I might be able to introduce some into the garden.
      They will find their own way, once conditions improve

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
      my little tiller won't go down much further than a foot, at best.
      Rotavating causes a hard pan ~ doing it by hand, with a fork, is much better (and more manly, lol)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The compacted sand appears to be what paving flags have been set on?

The relatively small area hardly merits a rotavator but hand forking should help.

John Innes potting compost is basically just a mix of loam,sand and peat and a bit of fertiliser. If you add a bit of peat substitute or any organic matter really and mix it all together with a bit of fert, you should grow some decent stuff.
        Even without the organic matter, with deep digging and amelioration you'll be able to grow good carrots!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Rotavating causes a hard pan ~ doing it by hand, with a fork, is much better (and more manly, lol)
          What is a hard pan in this sense please?

mrbadexample is not particularly manly! He says on account of his bad back, but I think that's just an excuse!
          Vikicats

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered.
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

mrbadexample is not particularly manly! He says on account of his bad back, but I think that's just an excuse!
            I think it means that the surface becomes flat and solid and therefore the water just runs off it without soaking in. I'm probably wrong though but I'm sure somebody will correct that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjo View Post
              I think it means that the surface becomes flat and solid
              Nope, that's capping you're thinking of.

Hard pan is compaction of the soil below ground: Creating a 'Hard Pan'

bit more info here: Soils: A living legacy

Comment

Nope, that's capping you're thinking of.

Hard pan is compaction of the soil below ground: Creating a 'Hard Pan'

bit more info here: Soils: A living legacy

See, told you somebody would know. !!!Thanks Two Sheds.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Here is the plan at the moment - today I intend to fork over the area and add some organic matter. This will mostly be in the form of compost from a number of pots in the garden. I do intend to add more but just want to try and make a start today. I will let you know how I get on.

Vikicats
                  Vikicats

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I have to say I just don't get the hard pan bit.

I've got a little 2-stroke mantis. It's probably a bit unfair to even call it a rotavator - it's a tiller. I haven't got a tractor. How does using that compact the soil beneath it any more than me walking across it in my modest size 10s?

I'm not arguing with what's being said - I'm just saying that I don't understand it. I also don't get the drainage thing - as it hasn't previously been a problem in this area. The soil seems a bit clayey, but surely if all the hard lumps of sand were broken up and blended with the clay (plus the addition of organic matter) to a decent tilth this would improve things?

Please remember that I'm not a hugely experienced gardener, and only have experience of my own garden, which fortunately seems quite good on the soil front. Am I missing something here?
                    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Well I have dug over the bed today and added some compost although it definitely could do with some more. I would have been posting these pictures earlier but wasted an hour mending the fence that some idiot decided to put their foot through last night.

This is what it looks like now:

Now have a lovely collection of stones and rocks which I'm sure will only grow bigger in the weeks to come!
                      Attached Files
                      Vikicats

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

How does using that compact the soil beneath it any more than me walking across it in my modest size 10s?
                        They both can cause compaction over time: if you're only going to rotavate once or twice I wouldn't worry about it: just try to avoid walking on that soil after it's been turned.

More ideas about improving clay here: Building Healthy Soil, Organic Soil Amendments, Healthy Soil, Compost: Gardener's Supply

Comment

They both can cause compaction over time: if you're only going to rotavate once or twice I wouldn't worry about it: just try to avoid walking on that soil after it's been turned.

More ideas about improving clay here: Building Healthy Soil, Organic Soil Amendments, Healthy Soil, Compost: Gardener's Supply
                          I was just going to give it a quick blitz - 15-30 minutes work tops, to try and break up the sand. However, I don't mind if I'm not allowed and Viki has to do it all herself with a fork, because I'm not very manly, apparently.
                          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

However, I don't mind if I'm not allowed and Viki has to do it all herself with a fork, because I'm not very manly, apparently.
                            You were the one who said it - I just quoted you!!

All help is gratefully received - manly or not!
                            Vikicats

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Vikki I am no expert as I grow in containers but would have to say you have made a vast improvement.

Just a thought to put in your head those natural boulders you have dug up are worth money, have you seen the price of them in places like B & Q?

Colin
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                                I am no expert as I grow in containers but would have to say you have made a vast improvement.
                                Thanks Colin. I normally grow in containers but I thought I'd give the ground a go for a change!
                                Plus my garden is full of black flower buckets which aren't particularly pleasing to the eye, but are incredibly useful.
                                Vikicats

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X