Still haven't seen me lottie!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still haven't seen me lottie!

I was awarded a lottie at the beginning of this month and have been having great difficulty finding out which one it is. Finally arranged to meet the man this morning and he wasn't where we arranged to meet.

So, I went to his house and he said he was there - on the allotment ! It's a huge site. How was I supposed to find him ?

Having another go tomorrow. In the meantime I've lost two hours work that I couldn't afford. I have no idea what state the lottie's in and it's getting late to prepare it.

Janie
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Funny that, same thing happened to me. "It's by the gate - the one that ends in a point" was as much description as I got. There's very little distinction between plot and grass path, so it's guesswork. When I went up to mark out some aresa, I was expecting someone to come up and evict me any minute..... but then again - it looks like nobody's done anything on it for quite a while, so should be safe to start digging...
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Hi JanieB
      Hope you get it sorted soon! Its a very exciting time isnt it? I bet you are really eager to get going!
      We are lucky on our site because Paddie the Chair of the site is an excellent chap, he's always on the site, and very helpful too.
      Good luck - looking forward to hearing how you get on!
      Best wishes
      Bernie aka Dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Janieb
        Even with an allotment plan (which was no use at all) I started off on the wrong allotment which was very frustrating - although as it turned out to be yet another couch grass heaven next to the one that was supposed to be mine I took it over eventually - a glutton for punishment. Why can't they all be numbered!
        At the moment there is all sorts of problems with another plot, the new owner has had the council up twice to try and sort out the boundaries, the woman in the next plot thought it was part of hers so goodness only knows what's happening there.
        It can obviously be all very vague, you have my sympathy - I do hope you get it sorted so you can get started soon.
        best wishes
        Sue

Comment

I'm sure I made a reply to this but I don't see it now !
          Anyway Janie, I'm sure that was all very frustrating for you and I hope it all goes smoothly on your next try. Hope you have many happy hours on your new lottie. You must be very excited.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

JanieB-Hope you get sorted today!
            On the 2 sites which we have been on, all plots were numbered, but almost no-one had signs up displaying their plot number.
            This can be really helpful in situations like yours, and when you have muck delivered when you can't be there.
            I trust you will set an example and make a sign!!!!
            Have a good weekend on your new plot and let us know how you get on.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well, finally took it over officially this morning . I'm sharing it with a friend who can't get to it until tomorrow. The chap who used to have it (in his eighties) has insisted that his shed and "greenhouse" stay for the time being and we are not allowed to touch them. Ho hum.

The plot hasn't been cultivated for at least two years, but he did get a mutual friend of ours to put roundup on most of it last year.

Picking up a coldframe from Freecycle this evening.

Will take piccies tomorrow and post them for the "before" story.
              "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
              Oxfordshire

Comment

Please keep us posted Janie. It is always good to see photos of Grapes allotments before and after.

And good luck!
                Last edited by JennieAtkinson; 21-04-2007, 06:58 PM.
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

yes we are very nosey here. Show us your photos.
                  Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Nice one janeb! Looking forward to seeing how you get along! And yes, I'm not just interested (yes I am) but nosy as well! I would take B4 and other photos as you go along Im glad I did, it shows all your hard work!

Bernie aka Dexterdog
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Yo JB. I can't understand this 'don't touch my greenhouse & shed' mentality. I'm sec of our allotments association and the rule is, if you give up the plot, you shift what ever you want BEFORE the rent is due for the next season. If you offer it to the next tennant for a reasonable price and they take it, all well and good. If they don't want it, either you shift it or it stays put and you relinquish all right to it.
                      We had a lad a couple of years ago who kept chickens. He said he wanted money from the next tennant for the chicken shed. I told him he had 2 options - shift the shed or pay full rent for the next year. He's gone, the shed isn't - job sorted!
                      Also, as a local Councillor, if someone came to me and told a similar story to yours, I'd have it sorted in 24 hours. hint hint!
                      http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Originally posted by JanieB View Post
                        Well, finally took it over officially this morning . I'm sharing it with a friend who can't get to it until tomorrow. The chap who used to have it (in his eighties) has insisted that his shed and "greenhouse" stay for the time being and we are not allowed to touch them. Ho hum.

The plot hasn't been cultivated for at least two years, but he did get a mutual friend of ours to put roundup on most of it last year.

Picking up a coldframe from Freecycle this evening.

Will take piccies tomorrow and post them for the "before" story.
                        Tell him he has got 28 days to shift it or you'll move it as you are now the tenant of the plot NOT him and you want the space. If he's not bothered with it for two years I'm afraid thats tough.

When I gave up my old plot there were some brussels & Leeks on there and I aske the guy who took over if he minded leaving them for about a month then I told him he could have what he wanted but I couldn't say don't touch them as I was no longer the tenant.
                        ntg
                        Never be afraid to try something new.
                        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                        ==================================================

Comment

We've decided to cultivate half the plot for the time being so the "buildings" aren't an issue at the mo. I'll put some chooks on the bit that hasn't got buildings on and we aren't using immediately. I'll go softly, softly with the ex lottie holder for now. He was an award winning gardener in his time and we may pick up some good tips from him .

Anyway, the reason for this post. I have taken piccies of the plot but Windoze has taken it into its head not to read the card. It suddenly thinks I've got new hardware. I downloaded some piccies last week so I don't know what's changed. I'll work on it.

Janie
                          Oxfordshire

Comment

JanieB-I agree with Nick on that one- but maybe you could offer him the alternative too- of buying them off him for a token amount of say £50 for them both??
                            He may just be glad to be rid of them, but is hanging on cos he knows they are worth something but wants someone else to pay for and remove them ( although I would have thought he would have offered to sell them to you if that's the case?)
                            You have paid for the use of that land, and it's a kind gesture on your side that you are allowing them to stay for now and not utilising your land to the max.
                            But don't let him abuse your kindness
                            Might be worth having a gentle chat with the site manager as I can understand you might not want to come across as a 'baddy'. After all your new neighbours probably liked and got on well with the previous tennant and they've got to get to know you both 'newbies'. Then at least you can say you are following the site manager's advice!!!
                            Glad you are both settling in though!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X