Squash Seedling Nibbled

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squash Seedling Nibbled

Morning Grapes, Just been out to check greenhose to discover one of my squash seedlings has been very much nibbled.. Only had 2 leaves.. Now it only has half

I take it this will be slug damage and if so can anyone tell me some organic control for this..

All my seedlings are up on a bench but obviously they are keen..

Any advice welcome as I have put quite a few seedlings into the greenhouse now and this is my first year of growing anything.

Thanks

Alan

Morning Alan. Yes I'm sure it would be slug damage - they get into the greenhouse too and they do climb up. For organic control you could try beer traps. I'm sure I read the following mixture was recommended
    1/3 pint beer
    2/3 pints of water
    1 tablespoon brown sugar.

In the greenhouse I use slug pellets on the floor. They don't get into the food and birds and others don't get at them then dispose of the dead slugs where they can't be eaten. Organic enough for me.
    Good luck with your squash.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I had a couple of slugs in my greenhouse last year - still trying to figure out how they actually got in there!

Do they give each other a leg up and over the step or do they have a ladder, or a rope and mountain climbing gear?

Bernie aka Dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I am also baffled by this. Not even like the can tunnel in there, I have a concrete base

Comment

Allan I'm trying 'Vitax Slug Off' the box says its non-toxic and suitable for organic gardening.

You spread the granules around your plants and the slugs aren't supposed to be able to slither across.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Bought some organic stuff this afternoon but putting pellets on the grenhouse floor sounds like a good idea. I will possibly try both.. get the little b...... one way or another

Thanks

Alan

Comment

YES i too had something nibbling on my seedlings. Caught it off guard. A tiny slug. Alas he is no more!

Comment

Poor slug
                actually the little ones are often the most destructive.

We have a population of slugs that live in our house.
                They come out at night & watch telly,dance,have friends over etc.
                Well I assume that's what they do.All we find are the slime trails on the carpet & the empty takeaway boxes.
                Actually delete the last,but the rest is true.
                The house was damp when we bought it,but not any more.No idea where they live or what they eat.Ho hum.
                Jane

Comment

|Hello ChickenJane, I would try to find where the slugs are coming from. Could they be coming up from a damp basement. Is it possible to get in there and have a look at what it going on.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
                    Jane have you tried to trap the slugs? Maybe try using the shell from an orange. This is supposed to attract them and the following morning you should have slugs in the shell.

Thanks L-J .that's a good idea.
                    when we looked round the house 10yrs ago before buying it the owners had sprinkled slug pellets round the edge of the room.Surprised it didn't put us off buying it!
                    Originally posted by Alice View Post
                    |Hello ChickenJane, I would try to find where the slugs are coming from. Could they be coming up from a damp basement. Is it possible to get in there and have a look at what it going on.
                    Nope-no damp basement.Well there was a v damp subfloor space but we had it filled & new solid concrete floor layed,damp proof course & all.Also had exterior wall dry lined.The cellar,which is v damp indeed is at the other end of the house.
                    The slugs are far fewer than they used to be.
                    thanks for the suggestion alice.
                    Jane

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X