Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing through weed suppressant

Hello Grapes

We've finally admitted that we are unlikely to clear our entire plot this year.

We've just bought some black weed suppressing fabric from our allotment shop to cover up one section and hopefully make things easier when we do clear the soil later.

I've read somewhere about planting through the fabric. It would be great if we could still get some use out of the soil, even this year. My potatoes have already gone in elsewhere so what I wanted to ask you guys is what else would be suitable?

How about sweetcorn, broccoli, squash, turnips and cabbage?

Anyone else tried this plating through the fabric thing? Do I need to cut it all back before laying down the fabric?

Thanks, Frankie
    http://madforsprouts.blogspot.com/

Hello Frankiebaby and welcome to the vine. I'm not competent to answer all your questions but I did enjoy looking at your Blog. Thank you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Brassica's thrive on compacted soil so should theoretically be a good choice for growing through the weed suppressant fabric!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sweetcorn, courgettes, cabbage would all be good. Just cut a slit through the fabric and plant. I am assuming the fabric is porous so rain will get through, otherwise you may have a problem with watering.

Comment

You still need to have the area beneath relatively free of major weeds though Frankiebaby. If you can get the perennials out, the annuals shouldn't be a bother. Having said that, you might have different perennial weeds to me!
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I've done something very similar only yesterday. I needed a space for my squashes because they are getting too big and need to go in the ground. I had covered some ground with plastic and lifted it yesterday, pulled out the tiny weeds (you will still get some but they will be weak) and put my squashes in. I've surrounded each one with stones to help stop the weeds coming up where I've slit the plastic, and hopefully they will stay strong and cover the plastic so in a few weeks I won't even be able to see it. The other advantage is the ground will lose very little moisture over the hot months.

Comment

Hi

Do you get all different types of crawlers under the black stuff?

Tigerella

Comment

Will your squash be allright if you get a frost Mikk ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Mow or strim the area first.
                  If you are happy to use them put some slug pellets down.
                  Lay the membrane.
                  Either dig a shallow trench, put the edge of the fabric in and backfill on top of the fabric, or, put suitable weights round the edge and at random around the main area,
                  Cut an X or T in the fabric where you want to plant, fold the V's round the cut back under the un-cut area and plant, adding your slug control of choice.

Squash like the clean ground provided by this sort of mulch, but are greedy feeders.
                  Don't bother with root crops under this method.
                  What you want are the above-ground crops, but remember you are not putting anything in to improve the soil or feed your plants.
                  Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                  Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                  I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

I use the weed suppressant matting for courgettes, squashes, that sort of thing, put pellets under the mat, follow Peter's method of planting but I dress the top of mine with bark chips also, deters the varmints even more.
                    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone. After listening to all your advice I've come up with a plan.

I'll lift the fabric again and cut everything right back to the grounds and try to get out the worst of the perennials . I'll cut crosses into the fabric, larger than I need so that I can do a bit of weeding where the plants will go. I've managed to aquire some fancy floor stakes so I can staple down the excess.

I'm not sure about using slug pellets. I was trying to be all organic. But I might cave in. I'm just chuffed I can use this bit of of the plot without digging it all through.

Thanks again, Frankie
                      http://madforsprouts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Frankie, you could always try the slug nemotode (is that how you spell it?!). The ground south should be warm enough to apply it now. I used it for vine weevil and it worked tremendously, so am seriously thinking about applying it in the polytunnel for the slugs this year - they breed like billyo in there!

You may be able to get it from your local nursery (I get mine online) and you just mix it with water in your watering can and using a rose spray it onto the ground. Anyone else tried this for slugs? I must admit when you do plant under membrane, and pull it back at the end of the season, there's alot going on under there!
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I used nematodes last year for slugs and they worked brilliantly. It did work out quite expensive as i have a massive plot but it was well worth it. I have my order in for this year already, hit them young and stop them before they have really started to breed! I also get mine online, cheaper also they have to be stored properly otherwise they die

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X