Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polystyrene packaging safe at bottom of pots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polystyrene packaging safe at bottom of pots?

Hi again Grapes

I was hoping to throw quite a bit of polystyrene (spelling? ) into the bottom of some large containers before I fill them with compost but was not sure if it is safe to do so.

Cheers

Alan

I did this last year and this year, using recycled polystyrene from freecycle. Can't tell you if it's safe or not though

Comment

I have always used this in my pots, but I have only grown flowers, this is my first year of growing veg. I have had no problems at all with this method (Alan does it) so it must be ok. It keeps the pots from getting too heavy and is a great way of disposing of old polystyrene.

Tracy

Comment

I saw Alan Titchmarsh use it last night. Helped to fill a large pot. So it must be ok.
        Lauren
        "A good gardener always plants 3 seeds - one for the bugs, one for the weather and one for himself.” - Leo Aikman
        Lauren

Comment

I've used it with no problems. No good if you want weight, but OK for drainage and insulation. I have several "slabs" of the expanded polystyrene packaging that I use in the greenhouse to stand trays of seedlings on - it keeps their bottoms warm

Comment

I've always used it for both veg and flowers. I just hate heavy pots. I certainly don't think it has caused any problems. The main problem is storing it through the winter, it manages to fall around all over the place and of course when you tip your pot into the compost bin, remember to pick them out. I am regularly seen following the bits into the dalek - I always forget!
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thanks for all the info.. I will use as much of it as I can .. I dont intend tipping the pots out much as they are quite large water tanks really.. Hopefully the amount of compost on top will make them heavy enough.

Thanks

Alan

Comment

The only problem I've had is that pots do dry out much more quickly.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X