• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember to take the occasional rest

I would offer to come and help but I'd need to come over on me bike
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm getting tired reading this thread Sl - you're a better man I mean gardener than I'll ever be!
      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Nice pics Nicos

Ok - just back from the lottie after 3 hours.

Only spent just over an hour and a half moving manure - got my target of 20 barrows done then went to offer help to the other volunteers who are preparing a base to install 3 IBC's. Spent the rest of the time chatting with other plotholders

Just as I got there they were just finishing off, but I was able to help collect some donated bricks, drainpipes and wood from a nearby neighbour's garden, so I feel a bit better about not having done anything to help so far.

It now looks like I am just over half way through the pile after 66 barrows full, so I am looking at another 70 or so to completely clear it.

The plan is to leave around a quarter where it is until next saturday when we are going to rotivate about 8m x 8m in the middle of the plot. We can then add the remaining muck to the soil and rotivate it in as we go.

Andy
        Last edited by Samurailord; 22-07-2012, 02:17 PM.
        http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

And I thought you had a bad back, Andy!! Or am I confused as usual?

Comment

Well, he will have a sore back by the time he's finished that lot!
            Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

Good luck Andy, it will be worth it this time next year. I put approx 5 tons (Horse Manure) on my plot last year which worked out at 130 barrow loads. 5 tons is only a guesstimate, it felt more like 10 by the time I had finished.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                And I thought you had a bad back, Andy!! Or am I confused as usual?
                No VC, your memory is correct, I do have a bad back but I am OK if I keep taking a break - it tends to work out that I can shift three barrows full then have five mins rest, but yesterday I was down to two.

Tonight when I start to shift more I will probably start at two and work down to a rest every barrow
                http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Look after your back Andy! You're going to need all your energy afterwards to sort out your plot - this is just the beginning

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Look after your back Andy! You're going to need all your energy afterwards to sort out your plot - this is just the beginning
                    Not a problem VC - I know how much I can do safely after years of trial and error.

I'm just on my way to shift another ton or so tonight ready for the delivery of wood for the raised beds on Sat morning, just before we start with the rotivator.

I honestly don't know how I kept myself busy before I started this allotment!!!

Andy

Comment

Another 20 barrows moved tonight - that makes 86 in total so far.

The problem is that the pile looks no different after the 20 barrows

I''m sure someone is sneaking in at night and dropping more muck on top

Andy

Comment

LOL Andy, it's funny how it seems to multiply at times!
                        Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Samurailord View Post
                          Another 20 barrows moved tonight - that makes 86 in total so far.

The problem is that the pile looks no different after the 20 barrows

I''m sure someone is sneaking in at night and dropping more muck on top

Andy
                          Plus you're not getting any younger............
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Plus you're not getting any younger............
                            Thanks BigM.

And I thought we were friends.....................

Andy

Comment

Well, another 20 barrows moved last night - the remaining pile is actually starting to look manageable

I reckon another 60 barrow loads will clear most of the rest, but the plan is to incorporate it into the soil when we rotivate the middle section of the plot on Saturday morning rather than moving it twice.

Hopefully I should have some 5' x 5' raised beds ready for planting by Sunday

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Samurailord View Post
                                Hopefully I should have some 5' x 5' raised beds ready for planting by Sunday

Andy
                                Well done Andy, 5' seems a tad wide for a raised bed, can you reach the middle?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X