New Brassica Bed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Brassica Bed

The OH has given permission for a small new bed (6' x 4') in the garden, at the moment it is laid to lawn but with an excess of brassica seedling I need more space. My idea because of the lateness is to strip of the turf and dig to a spit depth and incorporate pelleted chickem manure with some lime (soil is neutral) and Gen Purp compost. Is this the right thing to do.

Many thanks

Dont dig it, brassica's need very firm ground just strip off the turf, feed and plant that is what I am doing this year.

Comment

Great even less work
      Many thanks PaulW

Comment

If you do dig it, for example to remove weed roots, then tread well (known as shuffling) to compact the soil. As Paul says, brassicas need firm soil.

Comment

Cheers RustyLady,
          duck walking is a speciality

Comment

I tend to tread a couple of paths over my planting bed during the course of Spring (different place each year - depends what's growing). In June/July this is where I plant out my broccoli!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

does anyone know WHY they like it firm? (no rude remarks please )

Comment

if the ground is firm it retains the moisture better that is why farmers roll freshley ploughed land it also breaks the clod s up hope this is understandable
                What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I dont understand the science behind why but if you plant brussels in soft ground the buttons tend to "blow" very early and cabbages dont heart up very well.

Comment

I think it's mainly the taller growing brassica's and those that are in the ground for a long time that appreciate the ground being firm. Wind rock in loose soil would snap the roots so planting in firm soil and staking in exposed positions is the way to go methinks!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X