No announcement yet.

A dim question about tomato trusses...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dim question about tomato trusses...

Specifically - when do they start to grow, and how can I tell that it's going to be a truss rather than a leaf shoot?

I'm growing Moneymaker and Gardeners Delight (and I'm a complete newbie to growing anything )

My biggest Moneymaker plants are about three feet tall, and I started to pinch out the shoots growing from the 'elbow' of existing leaves at the weekend, but then I stopped in a panic as I realised that I have no idea where the trusses grow from, or how to recognise them when they are young

Should I be expecting to see some on my plants now that they are getting quite large, or do they grow further in height first before they start to flower?

How can I tell a truss from a leaf? Do they grow from the main stalk on their own rather than from the crook between the stalk and a leak?

Will I ever stop feeling like I know nothing?

Hi SunnyD,
    it sounds like you are doing the right thing by removing the side shoots from the "elbow" but take a look here http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_..._1b_tomato.asp

Comment

I'd be suprised if you don't have any flowers / trusses coming yet especially at 3 feet tall. I'm thinking you may have pinched out the truss accidentally. Leave all shoots to form to at least 3" until you are clear what is a flower truss and what is a leaf. Trusses look like mini umbrellas in a folded up state. They are very small at first.

Here is a link to a picture of a more mature flower truss: http://www.loe.org/loe_today/img/031...022photos.html

Don't worry more will come. Good luck!
      http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
        I'd be suprised if you don't have any flowers / trusses coming yet especially at 3 feet tall. I'm thinking you may have pinched out the truss accidentally. Leave all shoots to form to at least 3" until you are clear what is a flower truss and what is a leaf. Trusses look like mini umbrellas in a folded up state. They are very small at first.

Here is a link to a picture of a more mature flower truss: http://www.loe.org/loe_today/img/031...022photos.html

Don't worry more will come. Good luck!
        Thank you! I've only pinched out the shoots on the one plant so far - that was when I panicked and stopped

Woul it be likely that trusses would grow out of the 'elbow' (I can't think of a better descriptive word)?

At what height plant should I usually expect trusses to begin to form? My Gardeners Delight are smaller, but also have no sign of trusses

Originally posted by TEB View Post
        Hi SunnyD,
        it sounds like you are doing the right thing by removing the side shoots from the "elbow" but take a look here http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_..._1b_tomato.asp

Thanks for that link!
        Last edited by SunnyD; 01-05-2007, 01:54 PM. Reason: Added an extra question!

Comment

My first flower buds are showing (on my toms!) and they are at the crown of the plant initially. As the plant grows you begin to spot that the are coming from the length of stalk between two leaf joints, not the leaf joint itself. As to how tall it is when this happens, that depends on the growing conditions. If they have been grown in less than full light, in lots of heat etc they may well be quite tall before this happens. If they are grown a bit hard - not too hot, lots of light - I put mine outside a lot and I think the wind in their leaves toughens them up - they won't be so tall when you get your first flowers.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            My first flower buds are showing (on my toms!) and they are at the crown of the plant initially. As the plant grows you begin to spot that the are coming from the length of stalk between two leaf joints, not the leaf joint itself. As to how tall it is when this happens, that depends on the growing conditions. If they have been grown in less than full light, in lots of heat etc they may well be quite tall before this happens. If they are grown a bit hard - not too hot, lots of light - I put mine outside a lot and I think the wind in their leaves toughens them up - they won't be so tall when you get your first flowers.
            Ah - that makes sense! I was looking at them last night and think that there might be some beginning at the crown of the plants where there is a lot of clustered green growth. I'll go back to being confident pinching out now - thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
              I'd be suprised if you don't have any flowers / trusses coming yet especially at 3 feet tall.

A Gardeners Delight just about 3 foot tall with flowers.
              For reference its a 6 inch pot.

A Tumbling Tom just about 1 foot tall with flowers.
              For reference its in a 9 inch pot.

Not the clearest pic but thats what you should be pinching out.
              There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

My Gardners Delight don't look like that - they are stumpy and bushy, although no side shoots, i've been taking those off. Is it because it is colder here?
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I would think that if your tomato plants are three feet high with no flower trusses forming you are growing them too soft (too much water, too much heat). Whilst you want strong plants you do need them to stay fairly compact. Make sure your plants are not growing too fast - maybe cut down on the heat and water, make sure they have just enough to keep them growing. You should not need to feed at all until the first fruits have set. The bits you should be pinching out come from the joints between the leaves and the main stem, but you can leave them on until you are sure they are shoots and not flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                    My Gardners Delight don't look like that - they are stumpy and bushy, although no side shoots, i've been taking those off. Is it because it is colder here?
                    You should be OK Jennie. They shouldn't be growing too tall just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                      I would think that if your tomato plants are three feet high with no flower trusses forming you are growing them too soft (too much water, too much heat). Whilst you want strong plants you do need them to stay fairly compact. Make sure your plants are not growing too fast - maybe cut down on the heat and water, make sure they have just enough to keep them growing. You should not need to feed at all until the first fruits have set. The bits you should be pinching out come from the joints between the leaves and the main stem, but you can leave them on until you are sure they are shoots and not flowers.
                      I think you could well be right RL, they've been living indoors until very recently, and I water them a fair bit Thank you!

I've just put them through a mini hardening off routine - which I think is when the trusses started to form! And I popped them outside yesterday and will now be monitoring the weather forecasts diligently

Beefy - thank you so much for the pictures - I feel much better now cos that's what mine look like - except I think that the flowers are just beginning to form

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X