No announcement yet.

Newbie in need of growing advice for myself and young child

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any stucture (deck, verandah, anything) one metre off the ground has to have a fence over here. It's illegal not to because of safety aspects. Even adults can step the wrong way and fall.

But that's what you've got atm. When you were talking about it, it reminded me of when I had 2 yo twins and visiting a Bay area where there was lots of boat excursions. When I said 'Not likely" due to twins they told me about a boat where they'd sailed the seas with their baby/toddler. What they did was run a wire around the edge of the boat, attach a clip to the wire, the child was harnessed on the other end of the clipped lead. So the child could run around all day, but if it fell over wouldn't fall more than a foot. We didn't go on the boat, but it did seem like a good idea in that sort of situation.

If you still don't have a fence by spring send in a photo and I'll tell you if you could put up a wire on each side of the garden so you could all enjoy the garden but stay safe at the same time. Hopefully the landlord will get his finger out and you'll have a fence.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

How about spouting seeds for the little one? They are fun to watch grow and edible in around a week plus v. nutritious!
      My 9 year old is always fastinated with them!

Comment

I know herbs grown on the windowsill do sound a bit boring, but they are fast and you can make loads of different dishes with them. Chop them fresh into omelettes and make salads out of them. You'll be experimenting with what you can do with them in no time - I promise! We started out with little pots of parsley, chives and coriander on the kitchen winowsill, only grow what you like though.
        You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Thanks for new input since last logging on, I think it may be a case of redoing cress and trying some herbs and sprouting seeds indoors over the winter and trying to organise the safety issues outdoors ready to plant a rooftop garden area in the spring.
          In answer to question about which way rooftop garden is facing unfortunately it is north facing and due to buildings around us blocking sunlight it isn't the warmest / sunniest of areas will have to just hope for the best

Comment

Some plants do better than others in shady conditions, lettuce for instance does not like full sun.

I am confident that the peeps on here will be able to make suggestions when the time comes.

Colin
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
              Some plants do better than others in shady conditions, lettuce for instance does not like full sun.

I am confident that the peeps on here will be able to make suggestions when the time comes.

Colin
              Thanks Colin, I will definitely be in need of the knowledge of others once spring planting is upon us, is there anything worth planting in shade now to prepare ready for spring or that could survive the winter outside if somehow covered?? Sure I could sort a small area of pots / planters while sorting fencing that could be doing something or even a hardy winter flowering plant to keep little ones interest while preparing veg / salad containers for spring
              Thanks again
              Sarah

Comment

Its worth growing some microgreens, if your child likes cress. Its just a fancy name for pre-baby veg, think growing leafy veg to cress height.

Just fill a container (plastic takeaway pots are ideal) with about 1/2 inch of compost, sprinkle seeds, water then leave in a window still and treat like cress.
                Personally favourites are broccoli, beetroot, raddish (Red Sango), alfalfa and red cabbage. Most grow in under a week with the slower ones taking about 2 weeks.
                Just use sprouting seeds as they are cheap and easy to get hold of.

Another thing you can grow indoors or in a unheated greenhouse (well mine are coping so far) is peashoots grow them like the microgreens only soak the peas first (for about 6 to 8 hours) and put about 1/4 inch of compost on top. They take a little longer, 3 or 4 weeks for the first harvest and 2 to 3 weeks for the later harvests, but can be harvested 2 to 4 times before replanting.
                Personally I just use dried peas from the supermarket as you get 500g for about £1 which is a lot of peashoots.
                Last edited by JoeDaSudd; 06-11-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, we have so far managed to plant some broad beans outside to overwinter and a friend gave us some strawberry plants for a hanging bag and have planted some all year seeds given to us too.
                  We have some fencing like green plastic covered wire mesh you find around tennis courts that we are going to cable tie to existing railing fence to at least close up climb through gaps then we can get out more in the spring to do more outside.
                  We have just finished another lot of cress indoors and the sweet pea flowers I have sown indoors are showing through now keeping daughter interested as they grow taller
                  Have drilled holes in the bottom of an old baby bath and filled and planted some winter seed flowers to make a mini flower garden to bloom next spring/summer
                  I have been given other seeds but they are all for planting next year now
                  One pack I have been given is mixed herbs but all the planting info is for outside sowing so says next spring planting can anyone tell me would these work inside over the winter?? Don't want to waste if not going to work
                  Thanks for all the advice so far you have all been very welcoming and helpful
                  Sarah x

Comment

Blueberries

My two year old loved blueberry plants. They do really well in tubs (but use Ericaceous compost for acid loving plants or they die). They are really low maintenance, they have pretty flowers and then your child gets to eat the berries off the plants.

Also strawberries do Ok in tubs if you can keep the slimy horrors (slugs) off them. Alpine strawberries are tiny but you can grow from seed and they produce fruit until late autumn.

Runner beans are fun but you need space upwards- I have grown mine in tubs too.

Indoors basil and chilli's and peppers were a great hit this year (keep them warm though).

I bought loads at Pound World last year- loads of seeds and pots as well as blueberry plants (all for £1!!). Don't spend too much your interest may wane eventually. If you can, register with freecycle because people give gardening stuff away.

Comment

Well quick update for all those who have been helping me out with ideas so far. We have fenced one side so far although landlord wants it to be not so high so will have to cut down to size later on, other side are building extension which puts solid roof next door instead of one storey drop so not as urgent but may be able to do from cut off we take from height of fence already up so that just leaves getting a bit of fencing or something to prop across top of stairs whenever we are outside.
                      I have shoots coming up from overwintering broad beans and shoots appearing in the baby bath flower bed the indoor planted sweet pea flowers are doing great. Hanging bag with strawberry plants in are still green and alive looking lol so must be doing something right.
                      Thanks for all the advice everyone has given me I can't wait for spring to plant more vegetables

Comment

Update on gardening projects with pictures attached

Thanks to all that gave us advice last autumn we have made a lot of progress and once frosts cleared have got busy in our rooftop garden. Here are some pictures, thanks again.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great! You'll be surprised what you can grow once you get started. I'm trying to grow things I'd never heard of before, and trying to work out what to do with them once they've grown!

Great fun, and for your daughter as well. Get the herbs going, because that's the nice thing about cooking, you send the kids out to the herbs instead of trying to find them in the cupboard.
                          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X