No announcement yet.

Cordon tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shoots themselves do have leaves - it's the main leaf branches which you need to keep, though.

Can you find a diagram of a tomato plant? This will help you see how it grows and where the leaves and flowers form.

The Ailsa Craig is a cordon (what they call "indeterminate") and is grown upwards with one main stem - you pinch the side shoots out on this kind of plant. The flowers form right off the main stem in little groups.

The Italian plum (which variety is it?) is probably what they call a "semi-indeterminate" plant which is halfway between a bush and a cordon. It will need more support - you usually don't pinch out the sideshoots, but let them grow into big stems, otherwise you don't get as many fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by NattieG View Post
      Hello!

Sorry to ask what may sound like a daft question but I'm knew to this - when you say "pinching out" do you mean removing the side leaves and just leaving the main stem to grow?

Nat xx
      Nat,

thanks for asking this question, it's exactly why I was coming back to the Vine. I've been meaning to find out what it means too.

I've got 3 Tumblers in a hanging basket which seem to be doing rather well. Had a few aphids, but sprayed them away (reluctantly) so am looking for a friendlier way to keep them at bay. The card with the toms says to pinch out side whoots, but they all looked like leaves to me, but if I'm looking for something else that grows a bit later, that should help me identify them better. I may need to follow the other advice and find a picture just to help a bit more.

thanks all.

SD

Comment

I find this whole tomato trusses and shoots thing so confusing! I thin I have gotten it sorted now and everything is starting to flower. Not convinced though in the slightest that we will actually ever get to eat anything!

C

Comment

Here is a link to a diagram - it's not brilliant, but it might help.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_..._1b_tomato.asp

I'll see what else I can find

Comment

Thanks Cutecumber - I can't remember the variety of the plum tomato (I'm in the office so can't check until this evening), but it is smaller and bushier than the others which prompted me to think it wasnt a cordon. I'll leave that one alone and not pinch out. I'll do a bit more research on photos of cordons!
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

That photo did the trick thank you, I know what I'm looking for now! I have taken off some leaves (variety Moneymaker), but the plants are still only small, maybe 6/7", with no flowers so hopefully more will grow and I haven't done too much damage. If I have, well you live and learn, and still have the ailsa craig as yet untouched.
              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                Here is a link to a diagram - it's not brilliant, but it might help.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_..._1b_tomato.asp

I'll see what else I can find
                That diagram was really helpful! I shall be looking out for the little offenders (the shoots obviously) and pinching them accordingly.

SD

Comment

Sometimes, you find a side-shoot that is as big as the main stem, and it pushes the original stem over - in effect you end up with a double main stem. Try and keep an eye open for this situation and deal with it quickly, or let the second stem grow - if it's really thick when you spot it, I would suggest that you leave it and have twins!

I thought I was very vigilant but sometimes the plants are sneaky!
                  Last edited by Cutecumber; 18-05-2007, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Two for the price of one always sounds good to me!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X