Planting distances

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting distances

Hi again all - I think I may have overplanted and would love the benefit of your experience! I've read the books and mags and know the theory about how far apart to plant various crops. But being a bit stuck for space and a bit greedy in wanting lots of fresh veg, I've ignored the rules and block planted my brocolli, cabbage and peas closer than I ought. Also I've sown rows of carrots, lettuce etc closer than the 'rules' state. Is this going to be a major problem do you think or will I get away with it if I feed and water well? I dont want to lose my first ever crop!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Depends on how close is close, like you my plot is small and I always plant closer than whats stated and while it may affect the quantity or size I still get a reasonable crop.

Comment

You won't lose it, I often plant closer than I'm supposed to and then pick some early (baby carrotts anybody?) to leave space for the rest to grow on. Don't get hung up on the instructions, try by trial and error and see what works for you.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

You'll get away with it. You'll just get smaller vegetables but maybe that's what you want. I'm growing in a raised bed, closely planted to get baby vegetables. I leave just enough space to be able to weed between the rows. Seems to be working.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I plant too close as well. I often stagger my rows so that the second row plants go in between the first row plants (but a row further away if you get my drift) - it seems to make best use of the space. It's harder just to shove a hoe up the row but as we do it because our space is limited this is less of an issue. I use a little hand cultivator between rows and it works.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm the same planted cabbages 3 wide and 8 along in a 12' by 4' bed and outside leaves are now touching but not started hearting up yet.
            Attached Files
            ---) CARL (----
            ILFRACOMBE
            NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Moggssue - I plant my all cabbages close together and like Flum, stagger the rows. I then make sure that I havest all the "inbetween" ones first, so it gives the others a bit of space to grow into.

Peas too - that way they seem to knit together well.

It really is whatever works for you. It is well worth keeping a diary and note down how well things did and the next year you can either put them closer (!) or spread them out a little bit more.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I use a 4 foot bed system so plant everything across the beds a lot closer than is recommended.
                I think the recommended spacing is usully based on being able to hoe between the rows. I do all my weeding by hand, on my hands and knees between the beds so don't need to allow such a wide spacing between rows.
                If I need to loosen the soil between the rows I have a small hand onion hoe approx 2 inch wide which is used, once again, on hands and knees!
                As has been stated earlier, with staggered rows and using thinnings as young table veg, you need not worry about overplanting!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Looks good Carlesawolf.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks all, you've given me heart! I don't really have room to hoe between rows but am happy to get my hands in there amongst my babies (and am hoping that there'll be less weeds because the veg don't leave room for them). And no, I don't mind slightly smaller produce - there are only two of us anyway so we'll enjoy them young and fresh (oo err!). I'll let you know how I get on as things progress. When I sow in the autumn I'll try your tip of staggering the rows too.
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Now that IS interesting. It had never occurred to me that people might have to weed and that is the reason for spacings shown on packets...i'll explain!!

I grow everything in growbags, containers and raised beds filled with fresh bagged compost. Of course this breeds no weeds (apart from the odd one seeded by birds which I allow to grow until its a good size and then pull out.)

Hmm, that actually gives me slightly more space though I ritually over sow and over crowd. Everything is an experiment for us and it's done little harm up til now!

Comment

Cabbages tend to block everything out ...you think yours are too close! this was two weeks back since the rain you can't see the ground- I use same staggering method (particularly after lunch at the pub!) lettuce again should touch each other to crowd out weeds
                        peas you can't really plant too close.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Kind of you to say Lesley

Comment

I generally sow a little closer than recommended with so far no real losses. Although now we have more space things like spuds, brassicas, leeks have more room. My first year the leeks were very close and got lots of rust not so this last winter with better spacing. As most stuff goes through membrane weeding is not a major issue, although carrots and parsnips, spinach etc get sown direct. I will probably experiment more with stations next season.
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Paul - daft question no doubt, but how are you holding the peas up? And how many plants are there? I planted two to a station, six stations, around one of those circular trellis thingys - I think this might be pushing things a bit too far!? And was the first photo taken after the pub lunch?!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X