No announcement yet.

Big problems a lot of disappointment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope I'm not too late and you haven't got rid of your soil. I'd go for them being cabbage root fly larvae too. Eggs are laid near the base of the plant and the hatched grubs burrow up the stems of the host (or in this case the pea seed). The parent only has a short life and there will be a gap until the new generation is ready to breed. Leave it for just a few weeks and new plantings should be fine. As far as I remember there are three generations per growing season, a web search should bring up when the safe planting periods are. Sorry to hear you've got this pest, it's such a disappointment; in my first season it hit first my radishes then the dwarf french beans, I was gutted.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Yep, pea weevil I'd say: http://aberaeronallotments.org/factf..._Weevi_01l.pdf

cabbage root fly attacks brassicas, not peas.

Pea moth attacks the pods: they're the maggots you find when you shell your fresh peas
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the helpful replies, these are maggots as opposed to a grub no head as such and no legs. They attacked the peas first before the radish.

They are in my beans also, no sign of them from outside the bean and there appears to be no damage, germination is taking place all be it a bit slowly. When the bean is split the maggots are inside anywhere between 5 and ten.

Not chucked the soil yet and there do'es not appear to be any damage to plants in the garden not investigated the roots minds.

Got some bean plants in pots and peas going to grow em on and try again little steps. Don't want to be beaten.

Nemotodes are on route also worth a try!

Karpman

Comment

Nemotodes are species-specific, so you need to know your enemy before you buy your ally

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Nemotodes are species-specific, so you need to know your enemy before you buy your ally
            Yeah, knowing my enemy seems to be a huge issue at the moment at willing to try anything right know. The only thing I can find that matches what have almost exactly is the seedcorn maggot. Cannot find any cases of this blighter in the uk though.

There is others people out there who have suffered a similar fate in the past but have no resolve. Is it possible to send grubs to the RHS for I'd.

Many thanks

Karpman

Comment

Bean weevil or fly and Derris - My Garden

Seems very similar to the problems I'm having with no resolve there either.

Here's hoping they only have a taste for young tender plants and seeds!

Karpman

Comment

Originally posted by Karpman View Post

Got some bean plants in pots and peas going to grow em on and try again
                That's the way. I've given up sowing peas direct (seed straight into the soil) because the pea weevils just destroy them.

Big seedlings are tougher (than seeds) and can withstand a certain amount of nibbling. This year my pea patch looks lovely, rather than full of gaps & weak pathetic dying seedlings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X