Just joined

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    A question I have always meant to ask....do runner beans and all climbing plants that go round and round a support go in the opposite direction to the northern hemisphere?......like water going down the plug hole!!!
    Great question. I don't know the answer. My theory is that the movement of the sun will affect them, so because the sun goes the other direction in the southern hemisphere, the climbers will also reverse direction.

The only trouble is, in Britain, runner beans go anticlockwise when viewed from above, which is the opposite direction from the sun... maybe we need input from one of our Aussie posters?

Oh, and welcome
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Mmmm. The sun must rise in the east and set in the west, north or south of the equator. The difference is that it must predominantly to the north and not to the south as with us in the northern hemisphere. But yes the rotation of the climber will be opposite because of this as some plants "seek" the light and others the opposite. This rings a bell in the depths of my memory in botany studies many moons ago. Google will probably clarify the issue, but I hope some of our souther hemisphere colleagues will be able to tell us straight!

Comment

Come on feral, where are you?

Comment

Ssh!! You'll wake her - and it won't be noice if you do

Comment

Must have overslept!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...