No announcement yet.

Sheds - general advice (various Q's)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was surfing the InterWebs and came across your post and I'm glad I did, simply for the light in a bottle story, that is simply awesome and something I would have never considered even though it makes perfect sense!

But to answer your questions...

1. It is cheaper to build it yourself but the savings will vary based on your skill level, the design and materials used.

2. Based on what you described your plan sounds reasonable but I would also be sure the foundation of your shed is elevated enough to prevent any water damage.

3. Personal preference really, there are pro/cons to whatever you decide. I'm not a big fan fo windows in sheds simply because it keeps honest people honest in my opinion.

4. I install a keyed, latched door handle assembly in our sheds but it is seldom locked, see #3.

5. I haven't but we don't have shed burning issues in Texas, we have other issues but shed burning isn't one of them.

6. I REALLY like the bottle idea but we use the cheap skylight globes unless something specific is requested.

7. I don't really have any suggestions because without electricity in Texas...it's not going to be comfortable...lol!
    Tommy Hill
    North Texas, USA
    http://yourshedplans.net

Comment

There are two schools of thought on security, one is dont bother because the thieves will get in anyway and that causes damage, the other is that security deters them and being idle scumbags they will move on to someone elses.

If you go the secure route there are a few things you should do. When fitting a pad lock make sure that when in a closed position the hasp folds over to cover the screws. change one or more of the screws for a round headed bolt and replace at least one screw in each side of each hinge whith a round headed bolt. Thieves carry screw drivers as a matter of routine, often we use a good padlock but forget the hinges.
      Cover widows with weldmesh inside with staples to the frame.
      As for light, a colemans petrol lamp is brilliant (I use one for fishing) A fill of 4star petrol last ages and the light is awesome. You can get good gas lights using a cylinder (like camping gaz) but it works out more expensive. I think I would take the light home with me, no point making them a gift of fire.

Building your own shed depends on your DIY abilities but if you do it could hardly be worse than the rubbish you buy. Make it in sections, you may want to move it.The bought ones are so poorly made and thin. A second hand one is worth thinking about. Always keep a shed off the ground to avoid rot, concrete blocks leveled make good piers. If a shed is not level it puts a strain on the nails and it will eventualy fall to pieces. Use preservative every year and avoid paint.

If the shed is sectional it can blow off its base so drive a good stake in at one corner and bolt it through the shed replacing an exsisting bolt with a loner one. then at the oppsite corner do the same. scew the shed to the base.

Oh and consider marine ply instead of boards, it doesnt look so good but its very strong and secure.

Hope that helps.
      Last edited by Bill HH; 27-10-2013, 08:43 AM.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

You must have considerate scumbags Bill, ours carry crowbars............
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

If you decide to buy one, don't go for the cheapest/biggest one you can afford, because thethin they're made from soon warps and cracks, and then you're left withwith a leaky shed. (I'm speaking from experience here )

Mine is sited on a boggy patch, I worked out where it was going and dug out trenches a spade deep and wide exactly around where the base would sit, filled them with hardcore, then topped them with breeze blocks. The shed sits on the breeze blocks.

Mine has a window but it has fencing mesh and a net curtain stapled over it; no-one can see in, but light gets through. I also have a storm lantern hanging from the roof for heavily overcast days/dusk harvesting missions.

My door has a fairly basic hasp & staple plus padlock, but also has smaller locks at the very top and bottom, which can't easily be seen in the dark. Also, my good stuff which would be expensive to replace (rotavator, strimmer etc) goes home with me, only basic tools, chair, nets etc stay in the shed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
            There are two schools of thought on security, one is dont bother because the thieves will get in anyway and that causes damage, the other is that security deters them
            well, from experience, a locked shed is no deterrent, it's a chance to do some kick-ass damage

All the sheds burgled on our site, had been locked. After burgling, they had broken locks and broken doors.

On an allotment, which is fairly easy for a thief to get into and nobody is around for about 12 hrs, I don't think it's worth locking my shed. But then I don't leave valuable tools in it either.

At home, different story: our shed (the garage) has £1000s of equipment & bikes (& pets) in it, so it's locked and bolted at all times. There's no access to it from the street, you'd have to come into the back garden, right next to our back door, to get at the shed door.
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-10-2013, 08:28 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X