sweet potato,s

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet potato,s

Hi, can any one tell me about sweet pot,s i,ve tried to grow them this year, got slips from T/M or dbbies, planted through black poly, but they seem to have given up there are no new shoots showing and they have been in now for about 4/6 weeks, they look dead, all dark brown /black, any idea,s any one , help,
    Mick aka murfe 18

I also tried sweet pots this year but got nothing at all to grow. I'm told they can be grown in this country so there's two of us need advice! Any offers?
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I know some grapes tried to grow sweet potatoes last year but I don't think anybody was really successful - sorry if I'm wrong and somebody was successful. I don't think we really have the climate for them and they can only be grown with a grear deal of faff. But see this link.
      http://vric.ucdavis.edu/veginfo/comm...s/potatosw.pdf

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I saw them growing them on Beechgrove Garden the other week there but they were indeed faffing about a lot with themometers and polytunnels.

Sorry I can't remember much more. They did say that though that it can be done.

C

Comment

I really think this is one of those veggies we really can't grow ourselves. If you really want sweet potatoes you will just have to get them from your local fruit and veg shop (if you're really lucky) or if not from the supermarket.

Comment

I had slips from T&M last year - they arrived VERY late and a couple never did anything. However, the rest of them rooted easily and within a week were showing new leaves and picking up. I tried some in the greenhouse in large pots, pots outside and a few under black plastic in the garden. None of them did much despite a warm summer and the largest potato I got was only a few inches long. I took some cuttings off them last autumn in the hope that I could get an earlier start this year. To be honest I've neglected the cuttings a bit over the winter and lost a few, I had to bring them into the conservatory to keep them warm enough as I lost a few in my greenhouse even though I have a heater to prevent frost in there. Will let you know how I manage this year, was thinking of just going for the pot options as I don't have enough room in the beds this year. If you have a poly tunnel then that could be ideal but am not sure. One thing in their favour is that at least the slugs ignore them!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I too am trying sweet potatoes this year my first for anything really so am very interested to see what happens.

I got my slips from T&M, however the postman couldnt deliver them as no one in just before early may bank holiday got them redelivered. I potted them up straight away however one variety seems to have totally died except three of the ten slips. They dont seem to be doing anything just sitting in the soil no signs of leaves or anything at all. the second one seems to be dying back from the tips but this is slow and only a little daily.

will let you know if there are any signs of life.

by the way they are in an unheated conservatory.

Comment

just to update you all,

one of my varieties is showing signs of life.

6 out of the ten slips have leaves, small but they are there.

Comment

An up date on my sweet pots T/M have been intouch and want to send somebody out to see where grown ,etc will keep everybody informed,
                  Mick aka murfe 18

Comment

I had the same thoughts when mine arrived back in May. They eventually got better. Just ensure that they stay warm and don't dry out.

Here is another thread on the subject: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...d.php?p=108219

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X