No announcement yet.

radish pics

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you would like some to try, Jennie, pm me your addy!

Comment

Thanks Hazel and I'll swop you some French Breakfast!
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
        Those are Cherrybelle, Jennie - they have been lovely in terms of taste (quite mild), but don't seem to grow very big. I pulled the first few White Icicle radish out tonight, and nearly blew me gob off!

Haven't tried french breakfast yet (or about a zillion others!) but I'm on the lookout for something a big bigger (longer?) than cherrybelle but with the same taste!
        I grow the japanese mooli - April cross - a very long white jobbie. I really love them (because you can balance a LOT of hummous one one of these!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hmm, I hope I haven't killed mine lol.
          I decided to break up the window box today and move them into bigger pots, a couple of clumps of radishes in each pot, but I noticed they have actually started to look like radishes (the root part) so I hope I haven't ruined them by moving them.....
          Last edited by Salina; 13-06-2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Bump!
            Anyone? They don't seem to be wilting or anything so hopefully they aren't going to die but would still like some advice lol. how big should the radishes be before I pull them up to eat and are the leaves that appear about the soil edible?
            Thanks for any advice!

Comment

You can eat the leaves Salina. I prefer them cooked to raw, they can be a bit coarse for salad to my taste. As to when they can be picked to eat, it depends a bit on the variety - some become plump and round and if you fossick about in the soil you can see that they are globular - eat then. Some grow longer and thinner, like the french breakfast type or long white icicle. It's a bit harder to tell unless you excavate a bit. Once you're used to it you can usually tell but I still occasionally pick one I think is ready and get a little thin wispy thing!

Good luck with them - hope you get a good crop.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

mine are getting round!!im so excited another week or so and I'll be eating some with my red and green salad bowl lettuce (unfortunately theyre the only things that are about ready lol) I am so excited!!! When my cucumbers and tomatoes start to grow I'll be able to have a proper salad!!

Comment

My radish seem to throw themselves out of the ground. I'm in between lots at the moment. The last sowing just went away and got huge and the leaves get very prickly. I pinch a few leaves of a young plant for adding to a salad which I quite like, but you've got to get them young.

Tonight my salad was green leaves, a spring onion (the only one of a decent size) and one radish. Just an olive oil dressing and some ground pepper. Delicious!
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I never have dressing with my salads,i thought they were bad for you. Having just eaten an easter egg I dont know why im worrying about that. Anyway I forgot to add carrots to my futute salad,cos thats always nice grated and next year I'll have peppers and a different variety of radish to try. the ones i have this year are very red and round next years are long and white at the bottom. It will be interesting to compare the tastes

Comment

oh yes,my radish also seems to be popping out of the ground a bit too. Its very exciting because none of my other veg apart from the lettuce is anywhere near ready. my tomatoes arent even flowring yet nor are my peas and beans,its so frustrating!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X