Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you grow other veg in between sprouts?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you grow other veg in between sprouts?

In true form for newbie, I bought 10 sprout plants, and then read the planting instructions for sprouts.

Just a slight flaw in doing things in that order - my book tells that sprouts should be 90cm apart. This means a lot of space taken up for sprouts.

So I am wondering if I can grow anything in between them, and if so what would and would not work?

I suspect I will be donating some of the sprout plants to the father-in-law, which is never a bad thing to do anyway.

Thanks

Mike

Personally I dont plant sprouts that far apart, but to lessen the gap you could grow a small cabbage like minicole between them.

Comment

I solve the problem by planting sprouts wherever there is a space ...lettuce grow well and will be eaten long before sprouts grow: ditto carrots, and most salad crops.
      I have sprouts beside irises, poppies, blueberries and so on:-)

Comment

Originally posted by blakemj View Post
        In true form for newbie, I bought 10 sprout plants, and then read the planting instructions for sprouts......
        Hope you like sprouts!! After my newbie blunder of sowing 18 cauliflower which will be simulateously ready, along with 18 cabbage - ditto - I thought I'd got the hang of it and did only 6 falstaff sprouts. THen I got cold feet and did 6 more bedford filbasket. Hope we like sprouts too!

My level of ignorance won't stop me venturing an opinion - I think that you could put anything 'short cropping' in the spaces like salady things. To keep the bed as brassicas, you could intersow with turnip which are quick growing too.

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
          I solve the problem by planting sprouts wherever there is a space ...lettuce grow well and will be eaten long before sprouts grow: ditto carrots, and most salad crops.
          I have sprouts beside irises, poppies, blueberries and so on:-)
          I've got some red sprouts and red cabbage in flower borders!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

"I've got some red sprouts and red cabbage in flower borders!"

I have poppies in between the raspberry canes ....
            Last edited by Madasafish; 11-06-2007, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Catch-cropping.
              Sow anything quick growing and small, like salad, spring onion, nasturtium, radish...
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X