Raised beds.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised beds.

I've got a few railway sleepers in my garden. Would these be suitable to make a raised bed. it would be approx 5' x 4'. If they're ok then why don't I see any reference to them anywhere, they seem to be the ideal height on their edge. Do they leak anything into the soil? ie there's a bit of tar or something similar on them.
    Time flies like an arrow,Fruit-flies like a banana.

You could line the inside of the bed with plastic just so the tarry stuff isn't touching the soil?
    Last edited by heebiejeebie; 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM.
    You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

If they've been treated, you def have to protect them otherwise you won't be able to eat anything from the beds.

We bought plank wood for our raised beds, which you'd be best off doing if you are going to eat your produce! Good luck
      Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the help.Perhaps I'll go for an alternative rather than grow (he said optimistically)veg that I wont be able to eat.Are the raised bed kits worth the price?

Comment

I have the linkabord raised beds. I ordered direct from them and they cut my boards to my greenhouse size for free. They are excellent and I like the idea they are made from recycled plastic. I went for a double height bed 8' x 22" with all the bits and bobs came to £56. To some a bit expensive but it is there for life, no maintenance and if I needed too is easily dismantled and moved and even set up in a different format. (I don't work for linkabord )

Comment

We've used old pallets from the buiding site down our street to divide our beds - not fully raised. If you cut them well, the cross member bits can be used to hold the long planks in the soil. Free and recycling too!

Comment

wont the pallets eventually rot though. sorry to sound a bit dim but i really am very new to all of this

Comment

Originally posted by new2growing View Post
                wont the pallets eventually rot though. sorry to sound a bit dim but i really am very new to all of this
                Bio degradeable raised beds!
                Last edited by Snadger; 12-06-2007, 08:06 PM. Reason: Dislexis!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X