No announcement yet.

peas advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew them in my first year and the pigeons snaffed the lot before they managed to grow up any netting, I swear I saw them in the trees with bibs on and a knife and fork in their wings waiting for me to leave the allotment before leaving me the stumps of the stalks for the next morning.

Last year I bought some green very open netting from the 99p store and cable tied it to the green plastic coated nobbly garden stakes from B&Q, then the whole row was covered in pigeon proof netting. Worked a treat and I got ALL the peas that grew so I'm doing the same this year.

Now looking for mini wooden guard towers with machine guns and searchlights to put around my sweetcorn plants for this year to guard against the badgers.
    The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

I might have to rethink my plan.

I was going to grow them in a planter on my verandah and let them cascade over the balcony but that might make protecting them from pests more difficult.

Comment

I was the NVS U K pea champion in 2014 and second last year. <takes a bow>.

I'm growing for quality so I grow mine cordon style up 8ft canes.

The most important element for me is the trench I grow my peas in. It gets filled with copious amounts of organic material. Fym compost etc. This is to hold moisture. Many of my NVS friends south of the border complain that they can't grow peas because of their climate and lack of moisture is the main problem

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          I use this for peas but struggle to add pics on the stoopid iPad so you can't see it very well, sorry.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62574[/ATTACH]
          Actually I think this is a very good idea, better than my netting, cheap enough, so think I'll try this, thanks.
          DottyR

Comment

Used the two posts and chicken wire stretched between the two for years, but come the end of the season was such a faff untangling the plant from the mesh!

So last year opted for the wigwam method with twine wrapped around at varying heights for the tendrils to get a hold on

Placed a plant at the base of each cane, netted to keep the flying rats at bay until established.

Come season end, snipped the twine, cut the plants down to the ground leaving their roots and nitrogen fixing nodules intact to benifit the soil and composted the tops, dead easy.

Results were good too! .
            Attached Files
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Hi Deano can you do closeups as my eyes are struggling at that distance i was looking forward to seeing
              how good it was,
              not to worry mate i will have another try

Comment

Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
                I grew my first peas last year and just grew them up wigwams with bits of twine wrapped around for the peas to grab on to
                Knew I had a clear photo somewhere! This was on July 12th 2015.

Attached Files
                If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Hi Peter!

Sorry! It's Coz I am posting from an iPad, and for some reason, all iPad users on this forum of late get their pictures downsized!

As I am currently enjoying a few days away from the "Rat Race" You now have me intrigued as to how the iMac I recently purchased will add up to the said job! Will endeavour to unbox it in the morning and re-post from that, just for research purposes you understand!
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X