Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yay!! isn't it the best feeling

Comment

Mine are just starting to peek through...sown on 13 March!
      sigpic

Comment

I presently have 3 seedlings of the same chilli.
        2 are about an inch or one and a half high with a good showing of leaves, the third is still trying to break out, There is a small rootlet trying to get into the compost and the top end is still deep in the seed case. But there is life and I am waiting.

All 3 were sown at the same time, all in the same compost, all in the same tray, all the same seed from the same packet with the same light etc. So time vary for whatever reason.

Just leave them although the "hotter" varieties do seem to need a bit more heat to get going.

My other ones, Friars Hat, have yet to show anything. Slightly less hope for those as the seed is I think old. Just happened to find it so thought why not.

Comment

Is there any difference in growing sweet peppers from chillies?

Comment

Not much in the early stages. Sweet peppers usually aren't as reliant on base heat to germinate.
            Both plants grow in similar fashion. Sweet peppers are usually a bit more tolerant of cooler conditions so can be grown outside in warmer regions. When it comes to fruiting sweet peppers are usually much fewer in number but bigger, while the opposite is true of chillies. There's exceptions of course i.e. Big Jim chillie (mild) and Ancho Poblano chillie (very mild) are both of similar size to a supermarket sweet pepper. Likewise there are miniature versions of sweet peppers that are produced in greater number. Chillies usually need to be cooked in some way to appreciate their depth of flavour, while sweet peppers are more pronounced used raw (IMO). Sweet peppers are thick walled, chillies usually thin walled (with a few exceptions as already mentioned). Sweet peppers are generally used as a vegetable, chillies vegetable or as a spice. Hope that helps

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X