No announcement yet.

Potato yield

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This year I got excelent results in my tubs. The soil I used was a mix of compost, vermiculite, water retaining granuals and bone meal.
    Once a week I also gave a liquid feed.
    I only grew two types of spud. Desiree and Shetland Blacks
    Desiree is a maincrop potato variety, with high and early yields. I have since found out that Shetland Blacks have shallow roots and dont need deep pots, so will be saving my large tubs for more Desiree next year.
    I think that the water retaining granuals and bone meal made a big diference to my results this year over last years harvest. After all bone meal builds roots and thats where the potatoes are to be found

Comment

potato yield

That's interesting - I have some blood, fish and bone in my shed - do you think that would do the trick too?

Comment

Originally posted by blackcatlois View Post
        That's interesting - I have some blood, fish and bone in my shed - do you think that would do the trick too?
        Blood fish and bone meal is a balanced organic fertiliser which was the predecessor of the non-organic National Growmore pellets.
        Incorporating it in your compost at planting time will make NPK readily available throughout a long period. A high potassium liquid feed, or comfrey tea if your organically minded, could be applied later in the year prior to flowering!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I throw growmore around everywhere before planting anything! It worked well for the flowerbeds so I tried it with the veg as well and it certainly hasnt done any harm. I didnt realise it wasnt organic though - should I be using bf & b instead?

I've got 4 maris piper in a 50l compost bag, is this too many then, won't there be room for the tatties to develop much? I was hoping to start looking in a week or two.

BTW, sorry to jump in and hijack things here!
          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X