Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slugs Bugs and cats

Hi all

I have been growing food for about the last 4 years. With not a great deal of success.

This year the kohl rabi, leeks, lettuce, onions and carrots were a right off. The weeds over whelmed them in a matter of days and then the rains came.

Potatoes are the only thing that seems to do any good. A few years back I managed to get a decent crop of radish and lettuce.

But my main pests are the slugs, bugs and my own cats. I have tried mini plastic polly tunnels. But the invaders keep getting in.

I am doing everything the organic way, but the bugs are winning.

Any help or guidance welcomed.

Hi Slugfest, and welcome to the Vine!

About 90% of your problems will be solved by covering your beds with netting (and enviromesh even better - tho' expensive). My neighbour at the Hill has 4' stakes driven down about a foot, and about 5' apart to which he nails netting (make some if it removable for weeding and harvesting!) which worked a treat.

Slugs are a different story, though...

Comment

I find that a reasonably sized and healthy plant is much better able to resist the attach of slugs and takes up more space which discourages cats from using the adjacent bed as a toilet. With this in mind I start a fair bit of stuff off in modules before planting out, give it a good start so to speak. I do don't want to wage a chemical war so often surround young plants in open ground with loads of criss crossed short canes to further discourage my cats. Slugs are a real pain and I find the best way is to go for a multiple attach. Squishing is always satisfying and really helps if you keep on top of it. A few beer traps also helps. Some of the grapes use nematodes but I'm not totally convinced of their worth for the price. I only use slug pelets as a last resort and keep meaning to try some of that copper tape. I also select what I putting in the open ground and tend to grow lettuce in pots and troughs which are easier to keep clear of pests and can also be situated close to my back door for easy teas. What ever, just don't give up or the pests have won!!!!!!!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I start seeds off in cell trays, rather than in the open, so they are a reasonable size when they get planted out. I have no answer to the cat problem, still trying (and none of the cats who **** and dig in my garden belong to me). Slugs and snails I have now given in and feed them the little blue smarties (slug pellets) - they do not give total control, but they do help, and the manufacturers do state that they are safe. Also, I've never ever seen a bird or frog go for dead slugs, they prefer them alive and wriggling. Netting helps prevent bird damage, and if it is fine enough should also keep butterflies and moths out.

Comment

Slugest
          Welcome to the vine and hey, things can only get better..
          I'd vote for mesh covering too, they only way I can grow anything leafy and get a whole plant for my pains.
          I use raised beds and cover them with enviromesh which I keep on with very strong elastic which makes a snugger fit than just stakes to hold it down. It looks a bit weird but I've give up trying to emulate those illustrations of wonderful potager gardens.
          For seed trays and growing plants I keep them either on a seed tray stand or on a picnic table out of slugs way before I plant them out.
          I do resort to those organic slug pellets too, and just about manage to keep two steps behind them with a lot of slug pickings and examination of any possible slug hiding place.
          Enviromesh will also keep out flea beetles and butterflies.
          Sue

Comment

"I have no answer to the cat problem"

airrifle or snare trap failing that tie a rottie to a post ... see the cat dump there now..
            sorry not a cat lover.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X