This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOR NEW PEEPS, Chitting beans.

this is what beans do under the ground/compost,and what they look like when soaked for 24 hours,and placed inside the damp towel or damp paper,it's called chitting,this will show you wether or not the seeds are any good,also gives a head start,these are normaly put in earler than this stage,but all will come good,all i done was half filled a tray,layed the beans roots on top,then gently covered with more compost,as the soil becomes easier to work/walk on,they will go in the ground,i got 5 trays off 20 done this morning,

Just to add,peas ,squash,cue,melon,in fact most seeds,can all be done the same especially to check wether viable or not.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lottie dolly; 03-04-2018, 03:51 PM.
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Well, I've never chitted beans. But it looks like a great idea. I might do the same with my peas. Thanks, LD.

Comment

Very helpful post, Lottie, Thank you.

Comment

Thanks that is very helpful. I just planted mine straight in modules last year so good to see what happens and what to expect when chitting

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Very helpful post, Lottie, Thank you.
          I agree with you there VC so I've made the thread a sticky.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Oooh...so all the seeds I sowed at the weekend and put directly into mini pots of compost I could have done this with first to check if they were going to germinate?

I saw someone do something similar on YouTube and using wet paper towels but they placed it on a heated seed mat for a couple of days so I didn’t know if needed that.

Thank you for this

Comment

no heat used by me,just put between the cloth placed on a tray and water,keep damp,some seeds however, may benefit from being near a radiator,no need to go buying things unless you wish to,a few years ago,son put some squash seed in a wet duster,inside a poly tub,it mimicks the conditions in the ground,damp and darker,this is a pick of my current test pot,butternut from a bought one,some parsnips,and lettuce,the BN are doing well,it's this stage you can pot them up,be very carefull not to knock the white chit /root of,there are several ways diffent peeps use,that suit's them.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by lottie dolly; 03-04-2018, 06:54 PM.
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                Well, I've never chitted beans. But it looks like a great idea. I might do the same with my peas. Thanks, LD.
                I chitted my peas this year for the first time and it's been a revelation.

Last year I carefully sowed a whole drainpipe of peas hung up in my greenhouse and a grand total of one pea germinated and promptly died.

This year, I chitted them on wet kitchen roll with a 95% success rate, planted them on into small modules and they are taking off.

Comment

My Dad only ever grew tomatoes, rhubarb and runner beans. He always chitted his beans, it's part of my precious childhood gardening memories. Happy days.

Comment

I think I should have done this. Some of my peas and beans just rotted and I think I had the compost too wet. This might help me to get it right.

Comment

Used this the other week for sweetcorn and planted the ones that chitted in pots. They have all come through. What a great tip.

Comment

I generally chit my runners then pot up before planting out, but this year as I'm following one of VC's plans (the "mix 'em all up and chuck 'em on the ground" plan) I poked them all into the ground at the weekend. No water, no cherishing - looks like they've nearly all germinated, even though the soil looks as dry as dust.

For the record, they were an old pack of "Firestorm" rather than my usual self-saved seeds. I'm growing less this year, probably only half the number I often grow, so wanted to be sure they produced well even if the weather is not brilliant for them.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ver_95705.html
                        Last edited by mothhawk; 24-05-2018, 07:22 PM.
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

I loved the chitting idea when I first read about it. I couldn't really apply it since I had already sowed my seeds. However, on Saturday, I bought me some purple dwarf bean seeds (I keep saying I don't have space, but come on... it's purple beans! And they're dwarf as well! I had SUCH success with them last year!) and decided to chit them before putting them out between the strawberries and spinach.

I put 20 of them between a couple of layers of toilet paper (didn't have kitchen towels, but I don't let minor issues like that stop me. I improvise... a lot!), soaked it, and put it in a plastic box, on the window sill. All but 4 of them have little tadpole tails of roots coming out. I'm giving the 4 laggards one more day.

Now, my question is... can I plant them out once the roots are out, or should I wait for the cotyledons to unfurl? I *think* roots should be enough but want to be sure.

Comment

yes plant them as soon as the roots show - its easier to handle them without damage at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                              yes plant them as soon as the roots show - its easier to handle them without damage at this stage.
                              Thanks, Nick! I'll plant them out today then.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X