Building a new run

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new run

I've decided it's time to replace my metal frame run with a wooden one. Had a perspex roof which got blown off with the storms.

Planning on a wooden framed run but not sure what direction it should run.(lengthways)

Wind is south westerly off the Atlantic.

Has anyone any suggestions please.

I'll put a solid roof on and proper side panels which can be removed when weather improves.

Tia

Hi and welcome Westerly!
    It sounds like you live somewhere fairly exposed, is that right? If it's a run for chickens, and exposed, it sounds like solid walls that are removable would be a very good idea.
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
      Hi and welcome Westerly!
      It sounds like you live somewhere fairly exposed, is that right? If it's a run for chickens, and exposed, it sounds like solid walls that are removable would be a very good idea.

Thanks
      I'm on a mountain overlooking the Atlantic so exposed would be accurate.

Storm Jorge was interesting today. Left the birds in the coop all day.

Comment

Welcome from me too!

This is my chook run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chook run.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	2386423

The roof is covered with pond liner and slopes to the south, so that it gives shade in the summer and the rain runs off it easily.
        The westerly winds hit the long side, and go straight through. So far, they haven't caused any damage. I'm guessing that you're more exposed than we are.
        Wonder whether solid sides would be more problematic than open sides in a strong wind?

Comment

Welcome to the vine Westerly, I’ve no experience with runs or coops but wish you the best, just wondering if your Scotland or Ireland, if your on a west coast overlooking the Atlantic it has to be one or the other

Comment

Originally posted by Can the Man View Post
            Welcome to the vine Westerly, I’ve no experience with runs or coops but wish you the best, just wondering if your Scotland or Ireland, if your on a west coast overlooking the Atlantic it has to be one or the other

It's Ireland

Jorge definitely was sw yesterday.

I see what you mean about solid sides but that's a mean wind and would take the feathers off a chicken

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X