Food getting wet!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food getting wet!

Now as it says on the packet - keep dry! As the weather is starting to become wetter (again!) My chicken food gets wet???

Is this ok - or do I need to invest/make some food shelter?

I have noticed the wet pellets stop the rest coming down in the feeder - but then if they ate it wet it wouldn't matter??

Much appreciated help!
    Jan
    x
    Jan A novice gardener - first year of growing

Wet pellets go sour very quickly and probably don't do the hens any good.Are they in an ark?If so just tack a bit of thick,clear plastic over one end.If in a run,a simple shelter made from a wooden frame and a bit of clear poly-carbonate roofing sheet will do.

Comment

Thanks - unfortunately they are in a 3m x 3m 'pen'. So I shall have to invent some kind of 'food shelter' ...

If I could buy a mini gazebo (like the mini childrens furniture you can buy!) - that would be ideal

If I change the food daily - surely it wouldn't go sour that quickly??
      Jan

Comment

No the food wouldn't go sour - but you might waste a lot!

I adapted the side fence to hold a 'grub' from Omlet - the design is such that food stays dry in all but the worst conditions.

To adapt a side fence panel, first get a 'grub' - about £10 - then fix 12mm square grid avery wire over an accesable side panel - you will need to go from ground level up about a foot and about half as wide again as the 'grub' to give sufficient support. Once the grid is securly fastened (plastic wire ties are good, one about every 10-15 cm) hold the 'grub' against the panel to estimate the height you want. Too low and the birds will kick muck in, too high and it will be difficult for the smaller birds to access the food. Mine is at about 8" from the ground, I have large hens. You will need to cut two small sections from the wire, I cut mine 3 strands wide and 1 high and folded the section down to give extra support to the 'grub'.

Not sure if this is easier than putting a couple of boards over the given area!

Terry
        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Aww thanks - I know just what you mean... off to order some now!

I have been wasting alot of food recently!

Jan
          x

Comment

I have an omlet grub on its way!!

In orange as thats the colour of the season according to my daughter!

Jan

Comment

Ahhh.... So you won't miss it then?

Mine is green - didn't ask the daughter
              The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

My hens(only three)are in an ark with a flat top.All this summer they have been protected from the rain and sun(??!!)with a patio parasol,put through the wire and covering their grub.
                I have now put clear plastic over the top of the run.They complain about being imprisoned but are healthy enough!!

Comment

Got my lovely orange grub pots... OH kindly made a bar for it to sit on then it was decision time to where to put it!

Its now on the side of their house! The other choices were our log cabin (didn't want to screw into that!) or the brick work of the shed!! (too hard).

Next we have erected some of that plastic fencing (orange to match their food pots) on top of the fence to keep them in during the day!! They keep escaping.

Not asthetically pleasing to the eye but as a temporary measure - they keep flying over the fence (which is over a metre tall!!) but then can't get back in for food or drink! And one chook isn't quite as clever and is left behind. I normally let them out for a few hours once I'm home to go over the garden, but if left alone all day they get into the veg patch etc and are unfortunately good diggers!

Its been lovely not to have to wash away spilt food too - those grubs are very tidy!

Jan
                  Last edited by witch-1; 30-09-2007, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X