Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vermin-proof and/or waterproof feed storage?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermin-proof and/or waterproof feed storage?

Does anyone have some cheaper suggestions for storing chicken feed.

The galvanised ones I found online all vary between £80-£180.

I keep mine in plastic dustbins and haven't had any trouble(yet!!) they only cost a few quid each.

Comment

We use plastic dustbins from B&Q for our dog and chicken food...

We regularly have mice etc in the garage, but in a year they haven't attempted to chew through the bins...

Comment

I bought a galvanised bin from the local equine store.
        Think it cost about £25 - was going to get a plastic one, but I've seen holes made by rats ( or giant mice) and they contaminated the feed, so I changed my mind!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I store my horse feed in a dead freezer, it's in a shed, but has been rat proof for over 10 years. I know vermin have tried to get in cos the seal has been nibbled all around, but nothing has got in so far.
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I also use plastic bin... stored in shed (end of garage).

The omlet grub is excellent for keeping rain off food too - rather than the expensive galvanised feeders with hoods! Approx. a third of the price!

Jan
            Jan A novice gardener - first year of growing

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
              We use plastic dustbins from B&Q for our dog and chicken food...

We regularly have mice etc in the garage, but in a year they haven't attempted to chew through the bins...
              I opted for B&Q refuse bins. At £10 a shot, the mice will have to chew through a bunch of them before it becomes uneconomincal

Comment

I use plastic drums from CJ Birdfoods, they are in a wooden storage locker up against the house - so far (6 months) no problems.
                The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

We've used galvanised trash cans for years with no problems, well worth the outlay. I just don't trust plastic ones to keep the vermin out. What's an omlet grub, please?
                  I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                    We've used galvanised trash cans for years with no problems, well worth the outlay. I just don't trust plastic ones to keep the vermin out. What's an omlet grub, please?
                    AM Omlet grub is the feeder supplied with an Eglu chicken house and run:
                    Omlet Feeders (click here)

They are quite cheap and good at keeping the rain etc off food (and come in snazzy colours!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X