Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info needed on hybrid chicken breeds

Sorry for another newbie question!

I visited my local poultry centre today and got some advice about the birds they have suitable for my Eglu.

The 4 hybrids that they recommended as being 'easy' and family friendly were - Rhodestar, Maran Cuivre, Coral and Columbine.

Could anyone direct me to any online info about these breeds and their characteristics? Or if anyone has them could you vouch for their friendliness and suitability for a complete beginner.

Many thanks, again!
    Jo

This site has a couple of those hybrids listed. It looks like the choice is between the colour egg they produce - Coral for beige eggs, Columbine for blue eggs, Maran Cuivre for dark brown eggs and Rhodestar for ermm... white? Of the quick google I just did, it looks like some people have had troubles with Rhodestars being peckers (ie bullying other hens). I don't have any experience with these hybrids but if your poultry centre have recommended these then I'm sure any of them will be fine. Choose the birds you like the look of and if you have a preference for egg colour, then you should be able to make up your mind quite quickly!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a look at that site. The poultry centre does seem to place a lot of emphasis on egg colour which hadn't really occurred to me as a factor before we thought about keeping hens! The columbine and their blue eggs seem to be a great novelty (and cost a bit more!)

I fell in love with the Maran Cuivre and my 5 year old son wants a 'ginger' one so the Rhodestar is also a favourite. I think I'll leave the choice between the coral and the columbine up to my hubby as myself and my 3 year don't have a preference - since I'll be on poop duty I daresay they all produce the same amount and colour of that!!

Thanks again
      Jo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X