Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite breed?

I'm curious
    I want to get my own flock sometime next year, and I know I have my preferences but there is a lot of breeds out there and it could be fun to know what people here on the grapewine have and why?

So what is your favorite breed(s) of chickens? Please tell and show pictures if you want

I, like you, am preparing for chickens in the Spring!

From what I can see it boils down to Hybrids, pure breads or ex-battery!

Ex battery are cheaper and at least you are giving older chooks a decent end to there life rather than being used for dog food, with the possibility of a good few eggs once they get over the initial shock!

Hybrids are more or less guaranteed to give you plenty of eggs but look a bit dull to me!

Pure breads give a much bigger choice and can be dual purpose ie for meat or eggs! They also come true if chick rearing is your thing. Loads of colours and sizes!

Probably not the answers you were looking for as I have a feeling you were after individual breed recommendations, but not to worry, maybe next year I could advise better!

Hmmm........For me, I think I would like some of each please!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi iv only had chooks for a few weeks and got a trio of jubilee orpingtons, they are a very nice docile bird and very freindly, as for the egg laying i think i read that they should lay about 150 + a year.
      There a very nice colured pure breed.
      My 6 Black rocks are a docile bird aswell and are quite a nice looking hybrid with black, goldie brown and a green tinge in the sun light. I think they lay 260+ a year.
      Iv looked at no end of books and seen some lovley looking chooks, as a novice i cant say what my favorite is until i sample some more.

Comment

mine was buff orpington , nice size eggs as well and very friendly
        ---) CARL (----
        ILFRACOMBE
        NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I was thinking all kinds of chickens yes hybrids and pure breeds etc.
          Whatever people enjoy the most.

Comment

I just got more hens yesterday to replace the ones that were killed by a pine marten a few weeks ago. One of my favourites is a bantam wyandotte, she's so gentle and beautiful, but a brilliant mother and very loyal. I had a black game hen bantam too, she was more feisty but really street-wise (or should that be country-wise?!) and really good at looking out for trouble and warning the flock. I tend to go for pure breeds rather than hybrids, as they live longer in general and they are a bit different. And you can choose to support some of the rare breeds, if you have the inclination.

I think it's mostly a case of horses for courses - if you want hens for eggs, meat, both, looking pretty or just to be useful. There's lots of choice whatever line you decide to follow.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I too am getting chickens in the spring and as yet at a loss as to what to get. Have been told by the locals here that bantams are the best but i realise these are tiny birds and as such will produce small eggs. Probably going to go with buff orpingtons or something of that size. To be honest i really don't care what breed so long as i have chooks

Comment

My bantie dotte lays quite a big egg for her size, it comes out about 50g which is about a small-medium supermarket egg. Other bantams can lay teeny tiny eggs. Jersey Giants are huge hens but the egg they lay is only medium. Plymouth rocks, which are smaller than JGs, lay a larger egg - there's a really handy chart here with lots of useful comparison data.

Comment

My bantam used to lay little white eggs, a bit larger than a ping pong ball but they were the tastiest of them all.
                  I've got a Maran and a Light Sussex chick, but they won't lay till next year, my other 12 are ex-bat hybrids.
                  I've got a bit of an obssession with coloured eggs, so I wouldn't rule out an Araucana or a Leghorn sometime next year.
                  Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
                    My bantie dotte lays quite a big egg for her size, it comes out about 50g which is about a small-medium supermarket egg. Other bantams can lay teeny tiny eggs. Jersey Giants are huge hens but the egg they lay is only medium. Plymouth rocks, which are smaller than JGs, lay a larger egg - there's a really handy chart here with lots of useful comparison data.
                    Handy little link there BW!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I use it a lot! Not that I'm chicken-obsessed or anything... I can give up whenever I like...

Comment

Lol Birdie wife iv got that site in my favorites.

I was looking at the derbyshier red cap for a rear breed, but cant find any supplyers???
                        any links ed good.
                        iv got room for another 6 hens now iv exstended the coop and run.

P.s had to get rid of me orpie cockrel cos i had a complaint that he was
                        crowing at 3.30 am Yes thats right 3.30am in winter:eek
                        never mind, hes up the farm now with 30 odd wellsummers, if thats spelled right, Got to take me orpie hens up in spring when and if they start laying.

Comment

Araucana for her lovely blue eggs and fantastic friendly nature!
                          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Hen breeds

For me definately brown Hybrids.Some people may think they don't look so great,but they do have advantages over some pure breds.
                            You'll get plenty of eggs,they are very healthy and happy if given a bit of space.Also,they seem to be less prone to going broody in the main egg laying time(summer)which can be a real pain.

Comment

Black Rocks for me everytime! Friendly,hardy,sensible birds and 300-350 eggs per year!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X