wing clipping help please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wing clipping help please

Would i be able to clip the wings or dose a vet have to do it?

If i can how much do you clip? Is it like dog claws, clip to much and they start bleeding.
    Thanks muckman.

Wing clipping is like dogs claws. You can do it yourself but they do bleed if you get it too short.

I got someone to show me the first time and then did it myself after that. If you don't know anyone the vet should be able to do it and show you.

There are drawings on the web if you google for clipping wings but I prefer to see it done myself.
    Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Thanx digger 07.

Comment

I thought wing clipping was a painless way of removing a few of the main flight feathers from one wing?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Dont know never done it
          Would like to know how though.

Comment

The theory is to do it on one wing, so that the bird is out of balance when it tries to fly. Sharp kitchen scissors would be fine. I've got a diagram somewhere but like you muckman, I've never seen it done either

There's a guide on the omlet site here - hope it helps.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Thanks birdie wife il give it a go, iv allways been hands on with this type of thing but never done it.

the farms iv worked on have had hens but it seems the wife sorted the chooks never the farmer!!! or the farm hand. Plus i don't think they ever clipt the wings cos they were in the trees most night's, will let you know how i go on ( fingers cossed)

Comment

Make sure you get someone to help you hold the bird still. You don't want to slip with the sharp scissors! Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Our gert will help me. dont worry if i think i cant do it i wont put girls life at risk.

Comment

wing clip

I clip about 2 inches off the longer end feathers an also trim the softer ones closer to the body on one wing only.hold the bird and pull it's wing out.sharp scissors are fine.hope this helps.(it stops mine flying up more than about 3 feet).

Comment

Ceers Bendm.

Comment

This isn't a job for the squeamish - and the bird will struggle, so get a good grip on it.
                        I do my own parrot, and he bloody hates being clipped, he gives me really hard bites when I do him. I do it like this:
                        http://birdmart.com/reference/wings.html
                        It is entirely painless if done properly, but the bird can bleed to death if its bodged.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks two sheds, a good read and a good diagram, Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            This isn't a job for the squeamish - and the bird will struggle, so get a good grip on it.
                            I do my own parrot, and he bloody hates being clipped, he gives me really hard bites when I do him. I do it like this:
                            http://birdmart.com/reference/wings.html
                            It is entirely painless if done properly, but the bird can bleed to death if its bodged.
                            Is that to keep him on your shoulder Jim Lad (pieces of eight and all that!)
                            Last edited by Snadger; 18-11-2007, 07:57 PM.
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If you hold the bird firmly under one arm and search down it's wing you will feel where the body bit ends and the feathers begin.All you need to do is cut,with a pair of scissors,halfway up the feathers.Like having your hair cut,nothing to it!This will(hopefully) put the bird off-balance as it attempts to fly.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X