Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know anything about moulting chickens?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know anything about moulting chickens?

Hi Everyone
    Its been a while since I have posted a question on the 'Vine'. Girls have been great and have given us a lot of enjoyment and such pleasure.
    I have hybrid girls and was told and read that they tend not to get broody.
    Well, this one did and we managed to get her out to feed as often as we could.
    This lasted for about two weeks and now she is moulting like crazy and is a little pink in her crown, not nice and red like she should be. She is quite bald too! She is eating, though not like you used to do. She keeps away from the others but is quite spirited not hanging her head down.
    We worm them regularly and are well looked after, their house is cleaner than mine!!!
    I know that moulting takes it out of a chicken but I thought it is a little cold to be moulting this time of year.
    You have never let me down before with answers and experiences and have given me load of info, so I know I'm asking the right people.
    Thanks
    Dottychick
    Last edited by Dotty Chick; 31-01-2008, 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

moulting is bizarrely quite normal at this time of year, just make sure she has access to good nutrious food, you could try poultry spice as a general pick me up, we used to use vasaline with aloevere once a week or so on their combs in winter to stop them getting chapped. other than that just give her time. are the eggs fertile?
    Yo an' Bob
    Walk lightly on the earth
    take only what you need
    give all you can
    and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Hiya
      Thanks for the reply, yes the eggs will be fertile I s'pose as we have a very handsome cockerel.
      Does that make a difference then? He is a little 'frisky too!
      Thanks again
      Dotty

Comment

Hi Dotty, I didn't realise you had a cockerel from your first post, but that's maybe another reason why the hens might be missing feathers around her neck, as that's where the cockerel hangs on when he's doing his job! They may well be moulting as well. You can help them get over the moult by feeding them protein-rich treats like mashed up boiled eggs, bio-live yoghurt, also marmite on toast (chopped into bits or soaked in milk) is a good one, lots of lovely B-vitamins.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Thanks again for that
          Will try the protein rich goodies.
          Her moulting is not from Samson as she started to moult from her undercarriage first. She has no tail feathers now and she is getting quite bald.
          But will try the goodies.
          Thanks again
          Dotty

Comment

Thanx for the info, one of our chooks is in moult as well at the moment. I think she must be very cold without her coat but she looks happy enough. I've just given them a pan of hot mash which they've devoured in record time.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

ahhh chicks on the way, how sweet
              Yo an' Bob
              Walk lightly on the earth
              take only what you need
              give all you can
              and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

one of mine is moulting at the mo. too, looks very scratty but she's happy enough. i was interested to read that you feed your hens boiled eggs birdie wife. i have never given mine any meat or egg.

Comment

3 of mine were moulting in December when we had hard frosts for a couple of weeks. The girls were fine, just so long as you make sure they have plenty of food and fresh water, they'll be fine. Its just a strange quirk of nature that some will moult in the winter.
                  Atomic Apple Design

"It is a cliché that most clichés are true, but then like most clichés, that cliché is untrue."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X