Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chook

Hello.
    Is it a good idea to introduce another bird to our 2 chooks or should we just stick with 2. Since getting our chooks before crimbo all of the family has been so taken with them. It is possible that we can get one from the same clutch.

Cheers,
    p54jes
    Last edited by p54jes; 04-02-2008, 07:21 PM.

my experience is that hens are nasty bullies and since you have grown attached to them and think that they are nice, i wouldn't let them change your mind! it's the phrase pecking order...
    but if you must introduce another you should do so in the dark when they are roosting.

Comment

Hi we had to get rid of 2 of our 4 birds last week as they were cockerels and the neighbours werent impressed
      . We were adviced by an old hand that if we replaced them to always get 2 or more NOT just 1 on its own because of the bullying.
      I am glad to say we heeded the advice and got 2 and although they were picked on for a few days at least they had each other and things are now much calmer

Comment

I introduced three new hens to the original Cock and Hen last year. I put them in and adjacent run and coop for a week before mixing them so that they could get used to the look of each other.

When I did put then together (at night) there was a bit of a punch up for the first day and then they settled down very quickly.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Hi p54jes,

I would try to introduce 2 hens to your existing 2, try to get new ones that know each other already - that way if one hen takes a dislike to another from the new couple, at least she's got a friend to hang around with. If you stick with two, and one dies, the other will be one her own, which is bad because they are flock animals and need company. However, if you can get one from the same clutch there's every chance they might settle down together quite quickly

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Same here, when we've introduced new birds, we do it under cover of darkness and never one lone chook. So far,fingers crossed, no trouble. We've not got cocks either,too much trouble makers. We did breed years ago but ended up with more cocks than hens, so now we buy in when necessary
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Thanks all,
              We have a bit of a dilema here now after your info , The reason for getting another chook is if anything happens to one of them they wouldn`t be alone but I don't think we have room for four . The run is 2mtrs x 1mtr x 1mtr and the coop is 1mtr x 1mtr is this enough room for four or would it be better to stick with two.

Cheers
              p54jes.

Comment

Hi p54jes, your coop is plenty big enough for four hens but it might be more of a squeeze in the run - can you extend it at all?

Comment

Sounds good thanks for info, as for an run extension it shouldn't be a problem
                  Cheers
                  p54jes

Comment

Rule of thumb I read somewhere - 1sq ft space in the house/hen and 1 sq yd of space per hen in the run. Generally though the more run space the better - the 'under hen' will have somewhere to run to!
                    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Done it now,
                      We went to breeders this afternoon and guess what, brought another chook to go with our two ( Rosie & Ruby) . She's from the same clutch so lets hope the reunion goes well . Thank for all the advice.Think she will be called Roxy.
                      Thanks also to the breeders , the cock & pullet in Sharnbrook who have been more than helpfull they have even offered to do board and lodgings for chooks while we are on our summer hols.

Fingers crossed,
                      p54jes.

Comment

How's it going p54jes? Are the girls settling in together okay? Glad you found a really good breeder where you are

Comment

Its all going very thanks since the new girl has been introduced not even a cross cluck. We put her in the run and left the other two out so they could see each other but after 20 mins we let her out and all has been fine.

p54jes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X