Chicken info please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken info please!

I know NOTHING about keeping chickens but have recently had the urge very strongly!!!
    My OH is coming round to the idea also.
    I don't want to rush into things and make mistakes, want to read up, take advice and weigh up the options.
    Also as my garden is not that big and we're in close proximity to the neighbours I don't want to upset them.
    I have to consider that fact that there is a huge local cat population. Also I'm worried about the risk of attracting vermin.
    Any advice, recommended reading etc etc would be very gratefully recieved!
    Thank you!
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Elder son got me a lovely book for my birthday. It is called 'Keeping Pet Chickens' and written by Johannes Paul and William Windham. Gives good beginner advice on what you need to start chook keeping.

ISBN 978-1-84286-103-5
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Oh that sounds great Shirley,thank you. Johannes is the Omlet man is he not?

Comment

Indeed so. The book is nice though as it doesn't just recommend the Omlet stuff.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Just been having a look at the omlet site it's really useful, makes me want to get some chooks IMMEDIATLY!!!

Comment

Hi Lou,

It's quite easy to keep a few hens in coop with an enclosed run - they don't need much space really, but they do appreciate what you can give them. They do need daily attention, opening/closing the coop each day, unless the run is totally secure against foxes and rats (and even then).

Sadly vermin are everywhere these days anyway - chickens don't attract them any more than other things really - just keep your feed in sturdy closable bins and avoid spills wherever possible.

and GO FOR IT!! They are so lovely, and completely addictive!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I was worried about cats when I first got my chickens but they don't bother then. I think the chickens might be too big for them. Dogs on the other hand are the biggest problem, especially my own.

As for the neighbours, well, hens don't really make too much noise. You can always give them a few eggs and they will soon come around to your way of thinking. If you have a restriction on your property regarding keeping hens it will say on your deeds.

Vermin wise - You just need to keep on top of things. Keep the area clean, tidy and hopefully you won't have any problems. Try not to put too much food out as it will no doubt end up all over, thus encouraging mr vermin.

They are great pets to have. I'm looking at getting some more as we speak.
              http://keeping-it-green.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm getting really excited about this!

Comment

go for it LL you wont regret it they are fab!
                  Yo an' Bob
                  Walk lightly on the earth
                  take only what you need
                  give all you can
                  and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Hi Laney lou

We've had ours since November and absolutely luv em. We lost one to a fox in Jan and that was upsetting. We have an Omlet Cube and run which we use in conjuntion with a moveable netting fence to give them more space. Due to the fox I'm replacing the lot with an 18 ft x 9 ft enclosed run which contains a built in chicken coop. We've got to wait until June for delivery though as the're really busy.

Tracey
                    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

Laineylou
                      ~I would get the neighbours on your side, bribery would work perfectly. They can make a fair bit of noise especially when telling the world they've laid an egg. They keep up a running commentary too, not so loud, but it sounds like a clutch of old ladies of the Well I Never school. Again when they can see you they start up again, mainly in the hope you are going to visit their run with something tempting. So not going to break the sound barrier but not peace and quiet either.
                      But they are little darlings, I can't ever remember being "up close and personal" with a chicken before I kept them, but now I think they're wonderful. They're funny, charming, hardy, good for eating up scraps, produce wonderful chicken poo for the garden and, of course, the most heavenly eggs.
                      Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X