Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pen idea

Hi everyone

We finally decided that we just had to bite the bullet and give in......and get some more chucks. To facilitate this we have been looking round for ages for ideas on the ideal pen/run for them.

We have just got hold of a dog pen which is 10' x 10' and 6' high with a frame and tarpaulin for the roof and rust proof. We put the chicken coop inside and there is tons of space for our now enlarged family of 13 chickens (it just had to be done!).

Both me and my OH can now walk in and handle the chooks without them being stressed.

There has been some 'discussions' between the old and the new hens but as there is so much space it has been mainly of the vocal type and not the all out handbags at dawn variety.

I knew the reason I married my OH was not just for his good looks.
    Janette

'Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child' (Ron Wild)

1 x Sussex Star (Sage), 1 x Speckledey (Thyme), 2 x Brown Leghorns (Spit and Spot), 3 x Bovan Goldline (The 3 Degrees), 3 x Amber Star, 2 x Black Rock

That sounds like a great setup, can you post some pics and show us? What chickens have you got?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

That sounds like an excellent solution. I'm looking to put another run on t'other side of the shed so that the existing run can be given a rest and hopefully grassed as the mud over winter has been truly horrible.

Might start looking for something similar.
      Last edited by kirsty b; 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM.
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Hi Janette

Thats sounds great. Would love to see a pic. What do you do with all the eggs from your 13 chickens? I just have 4 and struggle to use them, loads get given to friends and my sister came to stay recently and went home with 24 eggs.
        Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

Hi all
          Here are some photo's of the pen and the girls enjoying the space. Everything already seems easier to manage as I don't have to move equipment around.

We don't have to worry about the excess of eggs as the new girls are only just coming into POL and my family and friends are queing up already for the eggs.

We now have
          1 x Sussex Star (Sage)
          1 x Speckledey (Thyme)
          2 x Brown Leghorns (Spit and Spot)
          3 x Bovan Goldline (The 3 Degrees)
          3 x Amber Star
          3 x Black Rock
          Attached Files
          Janette

'Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child' (Ron Wild)

1 x Sussex Star (Sage), 1 x Speckledey (Thyme), 2 x Brown Leghorns (Spit and Spot), 3 x Bovan Goldline (The 3 Degrees), 3 x Amber Star, 2 x Black Rock

Comment

Hi Chilcoj

That looks great. Lucky you. I may be tempted to have more when we get our bigger run.

Tracey
            Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

Hi Chilcoj,
              that looks great!
              Noticed you live just up the road from me (i'm in melksham), where did you get your hens from?
              Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Hi
                Got them from Merlin Cottage in Hankerton nr Marlmesbury.
                Currently their POL's are £12 per head. They also provide a good after sales service if you have any problems with the girls.
                Janette

Comment

Hi Lainey
                  You are more than welcome to come over and have a look at the chicks if you want....
                  Janette

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X