X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on wing clipping please?

Hi there
    Anybody got any tips on wing clipping?
    Had a look on various sites that give you pictures about how to do it but words from experienced chook keepers is also very reasuring.
    Many thanks
    Dotty

I find it's a two-person job unless your chook is exceptionally tame - one person to hold the bird firmly, and the other to extend the wing and clip the feathers. That's about it, really - if you have pictures showing where to clip, that's probably better than any number of words.

Oh, and do it one side only - the point is to make them lopsided and awkward, not to reduce their wing area.

Comment

Is this any help?
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ase_10889.html
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

only clip one wing, clip an inch or so off of the primary flight feathers (the long ones at the end of the wing) the feathers are living dont cut them too short they are like finger nails to us and you know what it feels like if you cut those too short. you shouldn't really need to do them though, and unless you have problems with them going over fences or roosting in tree's i would leave them alone

Comment

I'm with scooby you only need to do it if they are budding escape artists, other wise leave them as they are.
          Yo an' Bob
          Walk lightly on the earth
          take only what you need
          give all you can
          and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Thanks for all your tips, as usual very helpful.
            I am only having to do a few as they are flying into next doors garden and eating all the new shoots. She's a big gardener and has a beautiful garden, it was ok when we first had them as the floods demolished her crops last year and she didn't mind having the odd chuck around. In fact she loved it. But now she is looking forward to having a great garden again minus chickens.
            She's a lovely neighbour and has been such a great help with the girls. But I don't want her to feel like we are invading her space.
            Girls are still very happy with our lovely garden, so all is well.
            Dotty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X