Chicken Rules

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Rules

Hi all, we're in the process of designing a chicken coop and run.

After 'gently persuading' my other half as to the virtues of chicken keeping (just imagine this pasta/omlette/cake/pie/breakfast with home grown eggs, they can keep the weeds down in the garden/ imagine them following you round the garden/be able to see them from the lounge/won't it be lovely/give eggs to freinds and family etc etc etc) my wish for 3 chickens in an eglu has been taken over on an almost industrial scale.

We have the site sorted, we have an area about 18 feet by 10 feet, we've leveled out the soil, put a layer of sand on and a thick layer of bark. On one side is the neighbouring fence, on the opposite side is our septic tank, so I think we're fox proofed on those 2 sides, on the 3rd side, we've put a could of layers of large rocks, to create a rockery, it's about 12-18inches deep so hopefully would stop the foxes hopefully as I've read they won't tunnel for long distances (is that right?) however, we're a bit stuck as to what to do with the 4th side, it meets up with a field fence, and has a tree and some laurel bushes in front of it. Could we put mesh on the floor, and bark over it to prevent the fox? Any other ideas?

For the chicken coop itself, we were thinking to build it 2 feet off the ground, and about 2 feet deep and 4 feet wide maybe, plus an extra nesting section on the back. (Although he's already put some old floor joists to one side for the project, goodness knows what he's thinking of doing with them) Is there a standard height for chicken coops, I've read they shouldn't be too big so the chickens can keep warm, is this right? Also we're unsure as to where to put the perches, as the nesting boxes are along the back of the coop, would a perch across the coop stop them from going into the nesting boxes? Any ideas?

Finally, does anyone know if rubarb is poisonous to chickens?

I know it's a long post, sorry, but so many questions, any help/advice would be gratefully received....

Hi Rachel - firstly rhubarb; yes the leaves are toxic, but generally if chickens don't like something, they will leave it alone. Ref. the fencing; mesh would be a good idea, bit as long as the girls can't get out, any fencing is adequate, although electric fencing is the best in order to keep out Charlie during the day - Providing that you are going to lock them up at night that is. Ref. the coop; it should be high enough so they can roost at night, my perches are about 1 1/2 to 2 ft off the floor. There are some good house designs on the net or try the practical poultry forum for links. Have fun !

Comment

Well done RachelC, sounds great!
      I agree about a mesh fence of some sort, weldmesh is supposed to be best but it it expensive and needs to be 6ft to keep pit foxes (unless you have a top over the run), and it does need to be dug in to stop them digging under. I have also heard they won't dig far - paving slabs under the gate is supposed to stop them getting in that way. Get a good bolt (or two) on your house and make sure that is secure at night.
      Not sure as to optimum house size, we use an old wendyhouse, they huddle up together at night so I don't think there is anything 'too' big. Don't see why you shouldn't put the perch above the nestboxes.
      Rhubarb is toxic but as JoJo says they tend to avoid - or at least mine have so far....
      What type of chickens are you thinking of getting?

Comment

Hi RachaelC, I've seen commercially made houses that have the nesting boxes higher than the perches but I was always led to believe that hens like to lay at ground level. As MJJ says, check out the chook forums for more advice. I have built a run out of fence posts and chicken wire. It's triangular i.e wide at the bottom and sharp at the top, internal height about 5' 5" so is totally enclosed and high enough to walk into for cleaning. Hope that's some help.
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your replies, we really need to make it fox proof if possible, we live with fields on 2 sides of our garden, and there are plenty about. Would it be enough to make sure they're locked in the coop at night? I'd never forgive myself if I forgot one night and the fox got in. Will they climb up a fence to get in then?

Fantastic idea putting the perches higher than the nestboxes vicky, I didn't even think about that!

I'll let you know how I get on, we're going to get some wood today, and just have a go at building something!

I'll keep checking my computer in case anyone has another brainwave....

Comment

We have an automatic door opener/closer that works on light levels - ie opens 10mins after dawn and closes at dusk (you can adjust the sensitivity). So we can't forget to shut them in!!! The first night they didn't go in at dusk but that was the only blip we had (they get checked every 1/2 hr at first anyway!)
            They cost around £75 (Ascott/Wells poultry) which is the downside...
            Also forgot to say ornamental bark can cause problems with mould spores, have you got this or bark chippings (waste product from tree surgeons) which are fine?
            You could look up the cost of electric fencing if you're really worried about foxes, or put a roof on your run?

Comment

Hi,
              Not sugesting you should copy but this should give you a little information and maybe a few ideas....

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ssed_5867.html
              The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Hi TPeers,

Read your post about 5 times over the last couple of months, that's what's given me the inspiration to go ahead and build our own. As our coop will be on the outside of the run though (can't have the chickens wandering around on the septic tank), then we can't have the pop hole underneath. It's a fantastic design though, so well thought out, thank you for posting it. Is it still going strong? Can you post any pictures of how it has weathered?

I'll try to upload some pictures of how the build is going so far.

I've inspired my Mother-in-law to start keeping chucks too, rescuing battery hens is what finally swung it, and I even dreamed of my chickens arriving last night - it's starting to take over my life!!!

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X