Can we sell our eggs?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we sell our eggs?

Help, can someone , anyone please advise as to wether we can sell our chicken eggs at the door .We have 8 girls giving us more eggs than we can eat , neighbours are also egg bound, so we were wondering if we could put up a sign saying fresh eggs for sale . Are there any laws etc saying yes or no, or do we have to register with someone.
    Thank you.

I would love to buy them from you. If EM>AD ANYONE TO BUY FROM I would no taste like them.

Comment

I hope we can I've put a sign up without asking by my front gate. I'll take it down if there's any complaints or when I get short of eggs
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Where I live lots of people sell all manner of things from the door/honesty boxes. This includes Chicken and Duck eggs, fruit and veggies and all kinds of home made bits and bobs!

It's great and I love it!!!

Put up a little sign and I bet you'll be sold out in no time.

Good luck with it.
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Originally posted by rosebeth View Post
          Help, can someone , anyone please advise as to wether we can sell our chicken eggs at the door .We have 8 girls giving us more eggs than we can eat , neighbours are also egg bound, so we were wondering if we could put up a sign saying fresh eggs for sale . Are there any laws etc saying yes or no, or do we have to register with someone.
          Thank you.
          Check the deeds to your house!

There is sometimes a clause prohibiting poultry and/or egg sales. This dates back to between the wars when chicken farming was being pushed as an alternative job for out of work service men - several housing estates put this sort of clause in to stop a speading cottage industry.

Also there are regulations on what you can feed your girls if you want to sell the eggs - I'd have a look at the defra site - it may have more info.
          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
            Where I live lots of people sell all manner of things from the door/honesty boxes. This includes Chicken and Duck eggs, fruit and veggies and all kinds of home made bits and bobs!

It's great and I love it!!!

Put up a little sign and I bet you'll be sold out in no time.

Good luck with it.
            I take eggs into work and my colleagues buy them from me. Family get them free though!! I use word of mouth among acquaintances to sell.

Its so gratifying when somebody compliments your eggs!
            Kirsty b xx

Comment

How much for a dozen.?

Comment

£1.50 and however much the petrol costs to get down here!
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

I did post some to Shirlthegirl once - they took a week to get there and one was cracked even though I was very careful packing them. She said they tasted good though!

Comment

Wow, people still use honesty boxes? People round here would just nick the produce and anymoney if there was any

Comment

So true! They've nicked my sign!

Comment

we have some honesty boxes at work in reception. though someone has been "borrowing" some case from them.

Comment

Originally posted by rosebeth View Post
                          Help, can someone , anyone please advise as to wether we can sell our chicken eggs at the door. Are there any laws etc saying yes or no, or do we have to register with someone.
                          Thank you.
                          Someone asked this question on another forum a while ago, and I think the answer was that as long as you sell direct to the 'end user' (the person who will eat them) you are ok to sell them.

You cannot sell through a third party, ie. a local shop, because that is when you need to be licensed / registered / certificated, have to prove that all your hens are vaccinated, eggs are salmonella free, and basically jump through hoops.

I am currently drowning in eggs, I think I'll put a sign in the window over the weekend and see what happens .

Nicola

Comment

Recipies involving eggs....

Bread, cake, lemon meringue toppers, cheesecake - all slightly different from the usual souffle, scramble, omlet, boiled, poached or fried!

with the number of committee meetings and birthdays this month I'm ok with my egg supply.

Which will change I'm sure!

Comment

If you have a residents association newsletter do an article on your chickens with a few bits about havin more eggs than you can use with your phone number at the bottom.
                              My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X