hen bathing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hen bathing

Our hens loved bathing in a patch of soil in our garden. We've had some paving laid which included the area they liked. I let them range in the whole garden today and they rushed to the area that they had previously enjoyed. There's a little bit of soil left at the edge and they scratched it up and covered themselves blissfully with the soil. I would love to know what it is in this soil that they enjoy so much . Any ideas?
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Hi,
    I have no idea what's in the soil but totally agree that the chickens love bathing in it! We have three chickens and watching them rolling in the soil is a pleasure. They take it so seriously and all have their favourite spot - they seem to be in chicken heaven! Someone told me that it helps to keep mites out of their feathers.

Comment

I think the minerals in the soil scratch and dehydrate parasites and thus help to kill them (contact with the soil certainly dries out my skin!).

You can get some stuff called diatomaceous earth that contains microscopic skeletons of sea creatures, made of silica (basically natural glass) that does a good job if you sprinkle it on the chickens or add it to their favourite dust-bathing spot, but as far as the chickens themselves are concerned, any kind of fine earth or ash is worth trying

The first time I saw one of my hens dustbathing, I was worried she was having a fit...

Comment

Our 4 chooks love digging araound the paving we have maybe its the sand thats put down when you lay slabs etc. Their other favourite is the plant troughs we have - they no longer have flowers in unless u count a cheese and chives plant that is these 2s names!!
        Last edited by JackieAt; 21-06-2008, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyren View Post
          I think the minerals in the soil scratch and dehydrate parasites and thus help to kill them (contact with the soil certainly dries out my skin!).

Hi Eyren

My hands have been really dry lately, I didn't connect it to the gardening 'tll you mentioned it. I've just massaged them with olive oil and sugar and they feel sooo much better.
          Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X