Ex Battery Hens

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex Battery Hens

Hi there, I'm new to this foram so "hello to you all before I go on".

I want to know some info on Ex battery hens (please) , are they just like other hens to look after, do they need any more care than other hens out there, do they eat the same food and do they still lay eggs?

We are getting 10 hens on the 14th of june I have keep hens before but i was young so my mom and dad did most of the looking after and as they are ex battery hens I want to know all I can about the birds before they get here.

Please help me out over here if you can.

Hiya, weve had some battery hens for just over a month, also had some 'normal' chickens since january. Ex batts need layers mash to eat at first as that is all they have ever eaten, we got some poultry spice aswell, its supposed to give them a boost. We found that they wernt as fit, couldnt jump and wernt very active for a day or so, If their hen house is built off the ground then you might need to help them in at night at first but they soon build up their fitness. They still lay eggs, out of 5 chickens we normally get 3 eggs a day. Ive read some info and it says to expect about a 40 % egg production rate. One of our ex batts had laid an egg on the way home. Also be prepared for them to have feathers missing. One of ours had non left on her neck, they are growing back already tho. We totally love our girls. Its the best thing we ever did, they are loverly and friendly aswell.

Comment

They are lovely! I got 4 in October from the BHWT.

I started feeding them pellets mixed with poultry spice, honey, hot water and a bit of olive oil for extra calories and to help with feather condition. I cut out the olive oil after a few weeks. Now they get plain layers pellets and grit. I give them green veg hung from a tree so they have to jump a bit for it.

They do lay eggs but we're only getting 1 or 2 a day at the moment and some are soft-shelled. They are also a range of sizes from 60g up to 100g (ouch).

They are really good natured animals. When we first got them and put them in the run., they just sat there and looked daft. Within a few days they were scratching about and flapping like normal.
      You are a child of the universe,
      no less than the trees and the stars;
      you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks for the replys (keep them coming)

Comment

I got mine in October and I love them to bits. I have since been given 5 more that another plotholder no longer wanted and out of 17 hens a few times I have had as many as 14 eggs a day!!
          Not laying so much at the mo cos they have been a bit off colour, but they have started perking back up and laying again.
          I'll repeat the others, plenty of TLC and time and once feathers have re-grown they'll look like any other 'normal' chook.
          I find mine super friendly, must have something to do with them being bred for docility.
          They will probably sleep on the floor of the house at first, but will respond to being put on perches at night and they'll soon get the hang of it themselves.
          You won't regret it.
          Kirsty b xx

Comment

Hi, I love my five ex bat hens. They are such a joy. When mine first arrived they were in a dreadful state...one in particular I call Lucy. After alot of TLC including, layers Mash, poultry spice, Lifeguard in their water, plenty of green from hanging up cabbages in the run and lots of socializing with me when cleaning out the henhouse and run, they are very healthy and happy. However....A bird cannot spend over one year of it's life in dreadful conditions and not be permanentl affected, and I think the damage is in their immune system. So you have to be careful to prevent them from risk of disease. According to some of the litareture, ex bats are more prone to pick up diseases and infections than other hens. So, it's just a case of keeping a close eye on them. I'm amazed at how friendly they are and very sociable. From five hens, we have been collecting between 3 and 4 eggs daily. BUT today! was the first time we collected 5 eggs. So I take that as a good sign. Once their feathers have regrown they look so beautiful and feel soft whenyou pick them up. Enjoy your hens when they arrive, and they will really touch your heartstrings as you observe them returning to normal hen behaviour.

Comment

we adopted 4 battery girls 2 1/2 Years ago, and they are wonderful - they are incredibly friendly, coming to greet us when we get home; they come in the house when they get the chance & I came in from the garden one day to find one sitting happily on the sofa!!!!!

When we first got them we were told to feed them a diet of hot mash as their digestive systems weren't used to a richer diet and we kept them in a 12'x8' pen with a house, we were also told not to give them a perch in the first few weeks as they aren't used to using one and their legs might not be strong enough to support them on one - obviously this changes when they get stronger. Once they were accustomed to being outside and they feathered up, which doesn't take too long (although we did have one who self-pecked) they can be set free to wander the garden - ours chose to abandon their house and sleep around the garden.

I don't think they have as long a life span as those who haven't been so abused, the self pecking one (margo - after the good-life) died sitting on a nest under a tree, Elizabeth (Taylor) was snatched by a fox - and one scarpered the first night we had her, she managed to squeeze though the smallest gap in the fencing. But Audrey with the brown bottom (Hepburn) is happily roosting up a tree with Dolly (Parton - a big breasted girl!!) and lives the life of luxury! They are a wonderful addition to your family and are great with kids as they have very little fear - bomb proof is probably an apt description, once we have a coup built we will be adopting some more - and I am looking forward to having them!
              How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X