Wahey, huge step forward!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wahey, huge step forward!!

We made a huge leap towards keeping chooks today. Our neighbour keeps strange si-rex cats (excuse the spelling) and has a big cat run in her garden as said felines are not allowed outdoors. She is moving to live with her partner and the cats have already moved. Anyhoo we got first dibs on the cat run - made of 2 x 2 timber and weldmesh with a full height door. Should be quite easy to move over the fence and bed in deep to stop Mr Fox. Dear Angie said, no problem, be delighted for it to go to a good home. Super duper - now we just need to sort out a proper coop by bad weather time - there is a sort of sideboard affair in the run that can be utilised as a roost and laying box for the summer.

One excited Shirley. Thanks Madmax for asking Angie about it - you really are the bestest guy ever
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Excellent!

Hope you get the chooks soon.

Comment

Originally posted by quark1 View Post
      Excellent!

Hope you get the chooks soon.
      Or 1 giant chicken.
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
        Or 1 giant chicken.
        Giant chicken! No thanks.

We are going to dismantle the run and re-hash it to make a larger, lower affair I think. At least soon I will be able to contact our local battery hen welfare co-ordinator and find out when we can get some chooks.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

oooh how exiting! or should that be eggciting? good luck!
          Yo an' Bob
          Walk lightly on the earth
          take only what you need
          give all you can
          and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
            oooh how exiting! or should that be eggciting? good luck!
            Thanks yo (or bob).

Even excitinger is that Flossie is going to hit the road again on 1st June!! See Shirley grinning!
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Shirley, great news!
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Thanks kirsty. I bet I will finally be able to call the rescue co-ordinator and find that I just missed a rescue and it will be ages till the next one.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Brill news Shirl! I bet you are both over the moon! Good luck with a short wait for some rescue chooks!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                  Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                  Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                  On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thanks Mrs D. Hope you get similar good fortune in your chook quest
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

Oh, we'll get there, but priority atm is to get the plots sorted, once thats done, then we can start construction at home! lol! You got me all jealous n green with envy now tho Shirl! Methinks I'm going to have to do a bit more persuasion on Mr D here! lol!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                        We made a huge leap towards keeping chooks today. Our neighbour keeps strange si-rex cats (excuse the spelling) and has a big cat run in her garden as said felines are not allowed outdoors. She is moving to live with her partner and the cats have already moved. Anyhoo we got first dibs on the cat run - made of 2 x 2 timber and weldmesh with a full height door. Should be quite easy to move over the fence and bed in deep to stop Mr Fox. Dear Angie said, no problem, be delighted for it to go to a good home. Super duper - now we just need to sort out a proper coop by bad weather time - there is a sort of sideboard affair in the run that can be utilised as a roost and laying box for the summer.

One excited Shirley. Thanks Madmax for asking Angie about it - you really are the bestest guy ever
                        great stuff chickens r ace dont forget to hang water up though so they dont crap and scratch dirt into it,

Comment

Well done Shirley and Max! For the drinker try getting a 'Glug' from omlet - it is fairly easy to cut two strands of wire in the run, fold and reinforce and hang the glug at around beak height (9" to 12" from ground level) - Can be lifted out for cleaning and inbetween you can refill from outside the run with a watering can!
                          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X