ex batteries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ex batteries

Hi - I have just put my name on a list to rescue 3 ex battery hens and should get them in a month or so.
    I am a complete novice and would like any advice you can give me. I have bought a portable ark house for them which sits over a run area measuring 4x4.5ft and which they access by a ladder. I notice that the floor of the hut however is not solid but make of wooden slats. Should I put some board over these to contain the nesting materials and prevent draughts?

Also, there is a removable hatch (again slatted) which can cover the hatch at the top of the ladder - it is necessary to shut them in every night or could they be left to come and go from the hut into their enclosure as they please?

Hi jenniebain,i always lock my girls up at night as mr fox is a great opportunist,even though i havent seen one around here for years ive heard of other people having all their birds killed in a supposedly "safe" area.Dont take the chance is my advice.I also would put some board in.Just my take on things others may have other ideas.All the best anyway.Enjoy your birds when you get them.

Comment

I agree with Jilly regarding shutting them up at night, I'd hate Mr Fox to get at my precious lot. Also, the floor, why not put a piece of lino down so that it can be easily removed for cleaning, that'll also fill in the gaps won't it
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

hi jennybain
        i have just joined site
        i have been trying to get 2 ex-bats but the organization have been unresponsive
        have you any hints about getting hold of them
        i live in south yorks
        melly

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
          I agree with Jilly regarding shutting them up at night, I'd hate Mr Fox to get at my precious lot. Also, the floor, why not put a piece of lino down so that it can be easily removed for cleaning, that'll also fill in the gaps won't it
          Hi - I have done exactly that and it all seems quite cosy now. Looking forward to getting my birds tomorrow!
          Incidentally, I too have had little response in getting Ex-bats as I believe the dmend is very high for them. I have resorted to buying from a local farmer instead.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X