weed killer

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weed killer

is it safe to use weedkiller on my chicken plot and if so how long should i keep the chicks away from the treated area

Most weedkilers are safe to animals and pets once they have dried,but chickens do scrape around a bit and peck at things so not to sure.
    The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Don't your chickens eat the weeds? Mine do, except for daisies
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I have a huge patch in the corner of my yard which would be perfect to enclose in for the hens, but there are loads of weeds, and a LOT of nettles in there.
        My hens don't arrive for a week or two, and even when they do arrive I am fine to keep them out of that area while the weedkiller is "dispersing" or whatever it does.

Can I just liberally spray Roundup all over that patch and kill off the nettles before fencing it in for the girls??? Or is that a huge no-no?

Thanks in advance!

Ness

Comment

I would pull or cut the nettles off and leave the hens to clear the rest of the weeds.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I wouldn't risk mixing chickens and weedkiller, what weeds they don't eat they'll trample down anyway

Comment

I agree with shirlthegirl- they really will clear up any bits of weeds that are left very quickly- I'd just cut/pull the weeds enough to set up the chicken enclosure & let the chooks do the rest

Comment

So they're safe to be around nettles then?
                Sorry, it's just that I'm not from the UK and we don't have nettles back home so I wasn't sure if it was ok to have them near nettles.
                Thanks all, I'll leave well enough alone and let them do their own thing.

Cheers

Ness

Comment

That's what chickens are for, surely? To clear the ground, fertilise it, then you can put plants in while you eat the chickens!
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

TwoSheds - I didn't say I wasn't aware of the fact that chickens clear the ground & fertilise it, I was asking about NETTLES!!!
                    So, do you have anything useful to add about chickens and nettles?

Comment

Apparently chickens don't like nettles to eat - or so I've been told, never given mine any to try

Comment

Nettles are good food for goats and (once wilted) for most grazers. Not sure about chickens. Never noticed them eating nettles, but..... It won't do the chooks any harm, but you can bet they will choose the middle of the nettle patch for an unofficial nestbox, which makes it painful to collect the eggs.<g>
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Once ours had cleared the rest of their weeds they moved onto the nettles~guessing it's not their 1st choice of weed,but once the rest had gone weren't too fussy!!~They're still here so I can only assume they're safe!
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I expect it is an urban myth, but when I was a boy I was told that the farmer gave his chickens a "sheaf" of nettles before their meal. After the nettles they then ate the grit etc. furiously afterwards, and that strengthened the shell on their eggs ...

... let me know if it works please?
                            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I'm using my chickens as weed killers I've built them a holiday home on my allotment on a weedy patch and intend to take them over there a few times a week (first trip was last saturday and they had a whale of a time) and then move the run to a new patch once they've done the weeding for me.. nettles may not be their first choice but they will eat them and certainly didn;t seem bothered by them...
                              I have a dream:
                              a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X