flooring of run

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flooring of run

Hi - I would like some advice on what to use for the flooring of my chicken run. It measures approx 5ftx10ft and i have 3 birds in it. It is movable and at the moment I have it on the lawn and have been moving it every couple of days.

The lawn has been getting scratched up but the addition of a dust bath has limited this to a point. It is ok to keep moving the run around or would it be better to base it at the back of the garden where it is weedy and poor soil?

If you are keeping them in a moveable run, then moving it is rather the object of the exercise isn't it? I would keep moving it around, but mainly on areas which could do with disturbing and manuring. It sounds big to move often......
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

We move ours about once a week. By then the grass is fairly bare, but they are allowed to roam free during the day. Its in an area of rough-ish grass, and in the shade of trees etc.

Farmers around here with fixed coups, with large-ish fox-proof runs, are bare earth (I have also seen them with two "rooms" so that one grows some stuff whilst the other is being scratched to the bed-rock)
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X